Wire over pond?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
You can try wire around the edges to stop them wading in or standing by the side but the ones here soon learnt to stand on the decking fence and literally dive into the pond. Had never seen or heard of a heron doing this until it did!
now I use 6” mesh (like a soccer net but larger holes) over the whole pond 2 ft up from the water. Because the mesh holes are so large and black it doesn’t distract from viewing and the 2 ft gap allows other animals access but not the herons ( not seen one belly crawl yet!!)

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
You can try wire around the edges to stop them wading in or standing by the side but the ones here soon learnt to stand on the decking fence and literally dive into the pond. Had never seen or heard of a heron doing this until it did!
now I use 6” mesh (like a soccer net but larger holes) over the whole pond 2 ft up from the water. Because the mesh holes are so large and black it doesn’t distract from viewing and the 2 ft gap allows other animals access but not the herons ( not seen one belly crawl yet!!)
I don’t have a deck around the pond, so if I hang enough wire will it stop the birds? I also have a dog that protects the house, but most of the time indoors. Would that help?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Put up a scarecrow.

Or set out a few of those shiny mylar windmill toys. I have used those to keep birds away from freshly-sewn grass and wildflower seed.

We've seen your dog. What does he "protect" the house from? Crickets? :)

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
The pond will be 3 feet deep at its shallowest. My dog will bark and run at them, but probably get scared once he’s close lol.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store