Wolf eye help, just got it today

Dominator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
Queens, New York
I didn't realize until i got home; at shark aquarium i thought it was reflection of light, my wolf fish has a white spot in one of its eye, please help, is it impossible to cure it? I picked this one cuz the rest had serious teeth injury =(

Dominator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
Queens, New York
I had a lot of effort in getting this fish, traveled from NY to NJ, walked 4 hours couldn't find "Shark Aquarium" was about to cry, a man directed me with opposite direction, he told me 3 miles away from where i stood; at the moment, all i wish is to get home as soon as possible. After 4 hours, i finally found the store, and it was closed, was about to walk home, and at the other end, a door was opened.

Rambo85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
My own happy little world
Hi,

When i got my mala it had the exact same problem see this thread - http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181802&highlight=wolf+fish+eye+problem , I think it is due to how they are shipped (eyes rubbing on the container). To cure mine i raised the temp of my tank to around 28-29 and added salt. Keep up on the water changes and make sure the wolf eats well. It took around 2 - 3 weeks for the problem to be cured but my wolf is fine now. The fish looks a little thin so feed him well and fatten him up. what size tank is the wolf going in? any tankmates? what size is the wolf? Hope this helps and good luck.

Dominator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
Queens, New York
Rambo85;2589675; said:
Hi,

When i got my mala it had the exact same problem see this thread - http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181802&highlight=wolf+fish+eye+problem , I think it is due to how they are shipped (eyes rubbing on the container). To cure mine i raised the temp of my tank to around 28-29 and added salt. Keep up on the water changes and make sure the wolf eats well. It took around 2 - 3 weeks for the problem to be cured but my wolf is fine now. The fish looks a little thin so feed him well and fatten him up. what size tank is the wolf going in? any tankmates? what size is the wolf? Hope this helps and good luck.
Thank you so much, ya i carried from NJ to Queens NY(3 days shipping is too risky; it will die due to lack of oxygen since they don't spray oxygen into the bag), i didn't know it was a scatch, thought its socket exploded or something. Now two people confirmed it is scratch, i am not worried anymore. Its going 29g, will upgrade 55-75 in the future, 2 convicts(killed my silver arowana) and a baby jaguar(kill my 11 feeders) are going to be fish food(though i added a divider, jaguar could still go through it on the side and bothers the wolf, i warned him not to but he wouldn't listen), this wolf fish was labeled as 6 inches, but it looked much bigger. I just meansured it, without tail fin, i think its 8 inches. 19.99+tax, very cheap but i wonder what size does Hoplias Mico get and is it more aggressive? There was one there for $40 i was gonna get it, but both employees didn't know anything about them, they said that micro grows about 12 inches, and mala they did not know. I've never done research about micro so i didn't buy it. Was afraid that it gets too big or not aggressive as mala. Another thing was that i hit the glass, H.malas will swim around, but that H.micro was definantly a stone.

Dominator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
Queens, New York
Rambo85;2589675; said:
Hi,

I saw urs, it was even worse than mine, had cloudy eye, very well decorated tank and nice dog u have.

Rambo85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Dominator;2589735; said:
Thank you so much, ya i carried from NJ to Queens NY(3 days shipping is too risky; it will die due to lack of oxygen since they don't spray oxygen into the bag), i didn't know it was a scatch, thought its socket exploded or something. Now two people confirmed it is scratch, i am not worried anymore. Its going 29g, will upgrade 55-75 in the future, 2 convicts and a baby jaguar are going to be fish food(though i added a divider, jaguar could still go through it on the side), this wolf fish was labeled as 6 inches, but it looked much bigger. I just meansured it, without tail fin, i think its 8 inches. 19.99+tax, very cheap but i wonder what size does Hoplias Mico get and is it more aggressive? There was one there for $40 i was gonna get it, but both employees didn't know anything about them, they said that micro grows about 12 inches, and mala they did not know.
Im afraid i am new to wolves myself i just knew about the eye injury- this is my first so i wouldnt like to say how big the micro's get. I like my fish to be aggressive and i was dissapointed when this wolf wasnt after i had brought him home. Patience really is the key here, as the fish gets larger he will become more confident and angry. At first i was happy cleaning my tank with my hands inside, now i wouldnt dare. I would definately go for the 75g over the 55 if you have space/can afford it, the wolf will thank you for it. For info i feed mine large market shrimp and snelt fed off a grasper (i wiggle it and he comes chasing it thinking its a fish), he is housed in a 75 and i do 40% water changes every week. I had tankmates..... untill one day i woke up and only a few remained:( lesson learned!

Oh yeah great deal on the fish - very cheap (cost me much more but i am in the UK) and it seems you all already showing dedication for not having the fish shipped so i guess he will be one lucky well cared for fish.

Dominator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
Queens, New York
Rambo85;2589788; said:
Im afraid i am new to wolves myself i just knew about the eye injury- this is my first so i wouldnt like to say how big the micro's get. I like my fish to be aggressive and i was dissapointed when this wolf wasnt after i had brought him home. Patience really is the key here, as the fish gets larger he will become more confident and angry. At first i was happy cleaning my tank with my hands inside, now i wouldnt dare. I would definately go for the 75g over the 55 if you have space/can afford it, the wolf will thank you for it. For info i feed mine large market shrimp and snelt fed off a grasper (i wiggle it and he comes chasing it thinking its a fish), he is housed in a 75 and i do 40% water changes every week. I had tankmates..... untill one day i woke up and only a few remained:( lesson learned!

Oh yeah great deal on the fish - very cheap (cost me much more but i am in the UK) and it seems you all already showing dedication for not having the fish shipped so i guess he will be one lucky well cared for fish.
Its not money problem, its just the space, and today my dad just made the perfect tank stand, and i dun wanna discard it yet. I wanna feed it market shrimp too cuz i dun wanna see feeders dieing, thats just cruel.
Do u think that i can clean the tank with my hands? its 8 inches long.

Rambo85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Dominator;2589894; said:
Its not money problem, its just the space, and today my dad just made the perfect tank stand, and i dun wanna discard it yet. I wanna feed it market shrimp too cuz i dun wanna see feeders dieing, thats just cruel.
Do u think that i can clean the tank with my hands? its 8 inches long.
I would Just use a divider to be on the safe side. Once you see these things eat and how they can be very calm one second and snapping at something the next you will understand why! Have a look on youtube for them:nilly:.

I share your thoughts on feeders - I wont do it unless i have too and i worked hard to get my mala off them (previous owner fed them convicts).

Dont be surprised if the wolf doesn't eat straight away. It can take time for them to settle to new surroundings. If you have any problems getting him to eat just ask for tips on here.

If you dont have a divider use some thick rubber gloves whilst cleaning the tank (make sure any cleaning stuff is washed off first!!!). It is good practice to try to put your hands in your tank as little as possible reguardless of fish with teeth:).

Dominator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
Queens, New York
Rambo85;2589926; said:
I would Just use a divider to be on the safe side. Once you see these things eat and how they can be very calm one second and snapping at something the next you will understand why! Have a look on youtube for them:nilly:.

I share your thoughts on feeders - I wont do it unless i have too and i worked hard to get my mala off them (previous owner fed them convicts).

Dont be surprised if the wolf doesn't eat straight away. It can take time for them to settle to new surroundings. If you have any problems getting him to eat just ask for tips on here.

If you dont have a divider use some thick rubber gloves whilst cleaning the tank (make sure any cleaning stuff is washed off first!!!). It is good practice to try to put your hands in your tank as little as possible reguardless of fish with teeth:).
My divider made of anti-bullet glass, one piece costed me $50, so fishes don't end up breaking the cheap divider from pet store and kill fishes on the other side(it happened to my friend's flowerhorn). Recently, i removed the slot for the divider(thats y theres a gap between the divider and glass allows skinny fish to go throw) cuz i want mala a bigger tank. And my driller got burned out for drilling bigger holes on that anti-bullet glass, the plastic melt and wrap the driller thus it couldn't move.
I am not worrying about eating issues for him right now, but eye injury. I added 90mL stress Coat+ in 20 gallons of water and a lot a lot of salts lol. I hope it recovers tomorrow morning when i wake up. Since it is a very hardy fish, it should not die from too much amount of stress coat and salt, i hope.
Now it is so cute, when i turn the light off, it looked dead, so i turn light on, its body waves around, feeling uncomfortable.
I wanna attach metal teeth on its teeth, so it can kill snakeheads or aimara lol.

Rambo85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Dominator;2589966; said:
My divider made of anti-bullet glass, one piece costed me $50, so fishes don't end up breaking the cheap divider from pet store and kill fishes on the other side(it happened to my friend's flowerhorn). Recently, i removed the slot for the divider(thats y theres a gap between the divider and glass allows skinny fish to go throw) cuz i want mala a bigger tank. And my driller got burned out for drilling bigger holes on that anti-bullet glass, the plastic melt and wrap the driller thus it couldn't move.
I am not worrying about eating issues for him right now, but eye injury. I added 90mL stress Coat+ in 20 gallons of water and a lot a lot of salts lol. I hope it recovers tomorrow morning when i wake up. Since it is a very hardy fish, it should not die from too much amount of stress coat and salt i hope.
Woah dont add too much salt and stress coat - could be bad for him! Just follow the dosage on the bottle, dont add too much.

Do a water change if you think you have "overdosed" your fish. They are hardy but no point in risking the health of the fish right?

It will take a few weeks to cure the eye problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store