Ethan108

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2018
Picked up a 265g the other day, 7'x2'x2', going to be housing some bichirs, a florida gar, a lima shovelnose, a female parachromis motaguense, and possibly a spiny eel, something like a dayi. Could a red wolf fit into this mix? Red wolf would end up being the smallest fish in the tank, and most of the fish mentioned could hold their own, but I don't want my tank to be a war zone. Reason I want a wolf is because Snakeheads are illegal in the US and wolfs are one of the closest fish that resemble snakeheads (at least to me). Only able to have one tank running so if I do get a wolf, it would have to go in the 265g.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Red wolf won’t work. Could try Hoplias malabaricus but would remove the female mota and Lima shovelnose.

Ethan108

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2018
Red wolf won’t work. Could try Hoplias malabaricus but would remove the female mota and Lima shovelnose.
I'm pretty heart set on the mota. Had her for 6ish months, from 2.5-3" to 5.5-6", I really wanna hold on to her. I could leave the Lima out of the equation, but unless the mota causes problems with the other fish i've selected other than the wolf, she's most likely staying. With a mala, who would be the troublemaker out of the 3? Would it be the mala beating up on the lima and rtm? She was bred by a local buddy of mine, best out of the entire spawn, has her fathers confidence and her mothers attitude. I've never owned a wolf firsthand so I don't know how aggressive they can be, but I feel like this mota could stand up for herself against pretty much everything except an rtc. She kicked my large male Midevils ass quite a few times, took out a breeding pair of cons, and a vieja, when they were all at the same size. She's not the aggressor toward non-cichlids, but if someone else were to start a fight she definitely wouldn't back down

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
In general cichlids and wolves aren’t a great mix. The wolf likely go after the Lima being skinny with silver shining. Motas are up there in regards to aggressive cichlids. The mota will go after the wolf or the wolf fish I’ll go after the mota. The wolf has the better hardware to do damage. Personally I wouldn’t risk it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store