Wolf fish not eating after having beef heart

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Hoplias malabracius devoured some beef heart 2 days ago and now its not eating it's favorite food(krill).

It's in a 125 with a Texas cichlid which is kind of annoying it. I just got a flowerhorn as a distraction for the Texas. But the thing is the wolf hasn't been behaving the same as it was in the 37 gallon grow out tank. In the 37 it was a very active swimmer. Usually went nuts whenever it saw me expecting food.

Now it's acting like a piece of driftwood. Is this stressed behavior or did the beef heart do some harm?

I'm considering getting rid of the Texas and flowerhorn but wanted to try all options before resorting to this.

Also there is a 9 inch common pleco in the tank.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hoplias malabracius devoured some beef heart 2 days ago and now its not eating it's favorite food(krill).

It's in a 125 with a Texas cichlid which is kind of annoying it. I just got a flowerhorn as a distraction for the Texas. But the thing is the wolf hasn't been behaving the same as it was in the 37 gallon grow out tank. In the 37 it was a very active swimmer. Usually went nuts whenever it saw me expecting food.

Now it's acting like a piece of driftwood. Is this stressed behavior or did the beef heart do some harm?

I'm considering getting rid of the Texas and flowerhorn but wanted to try all options before resorting to this.

Also there is a 9 inch common pleco in the tank.

It's probably not hungry yet.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I wouldn't feed it personally. Just not worth the risk with so many other options. But S stat d it seems likely hungry. Wolves do eat terrestrial animals such as rodents in the wild. Not sure if beef heart may be more fatty which wouldn't be good.

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
It's IMHO, anyway, I think fish in the wild are unlikely to have a chance to eat beef or the heart. I won't feed mine anything that's not an aquatic lifeform though.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I wouldn't feed it personally. Just not worth the risk with so many other options. But S stat d it seems likely hungry. Wolves do eat terrestrial animals such as rodents in the wild. Not sure if beef heart may be more fatty which wouldn't be good.
Not sure what I was writing in that typo, but I was agreeing with tlindsey

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Cichlids and wolf fish do not mix good at all... a wolf fish is one of the only fish that have a temper and hold other fish accountable for their actions.. it will take some harassment but then all of a sudden flip out and youu will have a crazy fightl.. what fight I had in any of my tanks was a flowerhorn and a common wolf

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Cichlids and wolf fish do not mix good at all... a wolf fish is one of the only fish that have a temper and hold other fish accountable for their actions.. it will take some harassment but then all of a sudden flip out and youu will have a crazy fightl.. what fight I had in any of my tanks was a flowerhorn and a common wolf
Yeah I can see this happening in my tank. The flowerhorn is getting comfortable and I saw it chase the wolf fish off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store