Wolf fish personable?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
I've only kept Mala's and Curupira but IME Curu's are the most personable as well as the most active swimmers. They may not do the back and forth dance some fish do but they do study you, watching you intently and will patrol and explore.

Unlike kno4te kno4te I did stick my fingers in the tank. I was trying to handfeed; bad idea. lol I tried with a small individual(4") and he shot at the food causing me to withdraw in panic. The food was gone and I thought my finger was undamaged then the blood started spurting. Teeth like little needles, small but deep wounds. I had a couple of nearly invisible punctures. It wasn't bad, the blood coagulated quick still I can only imagine the hunk of meat my larger 14" individual would have made.

I'd stay away from beef heart as it could cause liver disease. As kno4te said shrimp and chopped fish are fine but I always stuffed high quality pellets in them or gave them a vitamin dip.

If you do get a Curupira they are usually costly but worth it IMO.
My Old Curupira.JPG

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
As a new lover to this red wolf fish, i believe i've being lucky to have a personable one. He's / she's name is Eryu.
Eryu didn't eat much at one time, but Eryu always asks for food, two times a day, when i'm home from office, and when i wake up in the morning. After 2-4 Hikari pellets, Eryu then swim around happily like he/she try to attract me. And everytime Eryu did those happy swim, i'd say in my heart, i love you Eryu lol.
IMG_20200606_193224_185.jpg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
eeh,

i’ve trained mine or it’s trained me too look for me when it wants food....

it flairs it gills or nips at the net or my hand to show its displeasure

i can see it’s eyes moving around when i interact with it....

GL !

6C1F020D-70A3-45D9-BA73-42664873F0AF.jpeg

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Okay I've been sitting at the bus stop waiting for this and wagon to let me jump on.

When you all say wood and plants is there a preference between floating plants compared to rooted plants for the rainbow wolf?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Okay I've been sitting at the bus stop waiting for this and wagon to let me jump on.

When you all say wood and plants is there a preference between floating plants compared to rooted plants for the rainbow wolf?
No from what I've read they don't seem to dig to much so planted should be fine.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
No from what I've read they don't seem to dig to much so planted should be fine.
And that is what I was finding as well. I couldn't get an opinion or preference one way or another.

I do understand that they can jump out if presented the option which is a fear I have with the little kiddos finding flipper on the floor. But let's be real, I don't want that heartache if I can prevent it for myself.

Reactions: twentyleagues

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Either one will work. Red wolf shouldn’t mess with any of those.

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020

For my Ery ery, whether its floating or planting, he/she don't really care. In fact, IME ery ery loves plants, where he/she can hide (esp from light) and minor digging for food when hungry or find good place to laying around.

Reactions: tlindsey

wolffishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 24, 2010
usa
Had a red for years and lost him and now have a wc Black now. My red was cool and definitely not boring but compared to any of the Hoplias species it’s not even close

Reactions: bettapatua
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store