Wolf Fish Sticky?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Definitely a group that needs one. Could try to make one.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
The reason there isn't a sticky, is it has to be fairly specific, and the family needs some work. There could be multiple species under malabaricus alone. And then there are many species that aren't commonly kept in the hobby let alone at all.

Here's a list of species I've found that are supposed to exist. Finding info on them was scarce when I tried to do the sticky. Some we can do easily obviously, such as aimara, curupira, ery ery and ery sp peru. But the rest, in my opinion enough haven't been reported for us to have solid or average info. And mala can be different species so I wouldn't even do that if it can't be for certain.

Hoplias aimara
Hoplias curupira
Hoplias Malabaricus
Hoplias microlepis
Hoplias intermedius
Hoplias teres
Hoplias australis
Hoplias brassiliensis
Hoplias patana
Hoplias microcephalus
Hoplerythrinus gronovii
Hoplerythrinus cinereus
Hoplerythrinus unitaeniatus
Erythrinus erythrinus
Erythrinus sp. Peru
Erythrinus sp. tahuayo
Erythrinus kessleri

B. Hizzle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
2up 2down
Some we can do easily obviously, such as aimara, curupira, ery ery and ery sp peru.
Why is it not possible to get a sticky on these 4 then? Of course it would be great to have info on all 17 species but if the data isn't there why does that stop creating a sticky for the most common species in the hobby? thanks!

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Why is it not possible to get a sticky on these 4 then? Of course it would be great to have info on all 17 species but if the data isn't there why does that stop creating a sticky for the most common species in the hobby? thanks!
I didn't say it wasn't possible. Lol I wouldn't mind doing it with someone, but I rather not do it all alone, no one should, I may not know something, miss something, or make a mistake just like any other human, I'm not perfect. But since it's so simple why don't you do it? Not trying to sound rude lol.

And also ery sp Peru is yet to be described so I'm not sure if we can do that, don't know if there's rules behind making a sticky.

B. Hizzle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
2up 2down
Shooooot, wish I could man, but I'm not smart on them which is why I'm asking. I'll be moving next year and will be changing around my set ups and want to go with something I've never kept before. There are a few sites out there but most google searches lead you right back to MFK.......so stands to reason there would be a sticky on these guys. Its all good though.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Fair enough. Well if anyone reading would like to take on the task and do the species we can I'm all aboard. And gold wolf though commonly kept isn't quite understood so not sure we should do that since very few have successfully gotten a shoal to work. If we do, that is something to mention

Reactions: QuDodger

viking252200

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2007
Tokyo,Japan
I can probably do one for the ery ery and at least help with one for the malabaricus, though I haven't kept that species for over 25 years, I still remember something

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Main thing I don't know is distribution, I only know of a few. Other than that it'd be pretty easy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store