Wolf with a Pike

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Sorry bro, but I'm gonna have to say NOPE. Dovii get incredibly large, while Crenicichla sp. 'pacaya' maxs out at about 10" or so. Top that off with a torpedo shaped body, and you've got an easy snack for ur dovii. Thats the one disadvantage with pike cichlids is they are compressed, torpedo shaped, so its easy for a lotta of the BIGGER fish to eat them. HOWEVER, there ARE a few pikes out there that get big enough to give ur dovii a run for its money, gettin quite large indeed! :D...not to shabby lookin either! Crenicichla sp. 'venezuela' is one of the most commonly imported pikes, and is also one of the largest growing pikes...easily reachin 18" with 22" not being uncommon, in the wild at least. Not sure what the biggest one in captivity is. Key thing is to get Lugubris family pikes......which get MUCH larger and more aggressive. Crenicichla sp. 'pacaya' is a Saxatilis family pike, which are great in their own respect, but just don't get as large. Crenicichla sp. 'venezuela' IS a Lugubris pike though, which makes it perfect. Not too showy thouhg. You want a good lookin pike from the Lugubris family try these bruisers... Crenicichla marmorata, Crenicichla lenticulata, Crenicichla sp. 'redfaced lugubris', Crenicichla cincta, Crenicichla xingu I, II, III just to name a few. They get big and are THICK.....so chances are they will definately be alright wit ur Dovii given there is enough space. Keep in mind these pikes DO get large, and most of them DO have attitudes...lol. If you are just keepin the pacaya wit the dovii while they are both still small..it will work out for a while....but the dovii will easily out grow the pike....so i would try these other pikes instead. Hope that helps.... :D Welcome!

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
i would say it depends on the fish i have a dovii and it dousnt pick on anything i have with it and a buddy of mine had to get rid of his because his convicts about half the size of the wolf were picking on it really bad.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Its not the pickin on that i'm worried about, its the fact that pikes are laterally compressed...bad combo with predatory fish with large mouths....convicts and other fish work better cuz they are deeper bodied thus harder to eat..... ya understand?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store