koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Last photo i have.
it passed away after it because they jumped out from the tank.

I'll try to breed them again if i have enough time and tank again.
I congratulate you on your accomplishment and I am sorry for your loss. I hope some day I can say I provided good enough conditions for a fish to breed for the first time in captivity.

animallearns

Feeder Fish
Dec 20, 2023
The breeding process for polys requires a significant maturation period, and currently, most of our poly tanks lack the necessary equipment for breeding these fish. Giseok employs a breeding mop mat to effectively collect the eggs. In Europe, a former member who owned six large lapradei noticed eggs frequently appearing in the filter mats within the sump, requiring minimal additional effort for successful breeding.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The breeding process for polys requires a significant maturation period, and currently, most of our poly tanks lack the necessary equipment for breeding these fish. Giseok employs a breeding mop mat to effectively collect the eggs. In Europe, a former member who owned six large lapradei noticed eggs frequently appearing in the filter mats within the sump, requiring minimal additional effort for successful breeding.
Welcome aboard
I personally had 2 different pair of young Senegalus Polypterus spawn.
Like you stated minimum effort but observation needed to collect eggs. No hormones needed imo.

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
It's very interesting how people hybridize Upperjaw bichirs and Mandible bichir species.

I personally breed both of species (Polypterus ornatipinnis and Polypterus bichir "Lapradei") but they both has very different breeding conditions.
For short, P. bichir spawn after raining sitmulation (Imagine when the sun came out after the rain) but P. ornatipinnis species spawn while it's still raining.

Also I relized the spawning substrate are very different by species after breeding several species of them and that might can be a key why he could collect egg from the filter mat.
(P. ornatipinnis prefer sand for spawn and P. bichir prefer both plants and sand, and the eggs of both species has less stickyness than other well-known upperjaw species like senegalus.)

Welcome aboard
I personally had 2 different pair of young Senegalus Polypterus spawn.
Like you stated minimum effort but observation needed to collect eggs. No hormones needed imo.
Yes, I also think hormone injection is not needed to breed most of species of Polypterus.
Maybe farms are using it to produce more sustainable productions for trickier species like large species of Upper jaw or Mandible type of bichirs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store