Would aulonocara maylandi work for me?

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
I was thinking of adding a male aulonocara maylandi to my 55 gallon tank since I was reading that they are pretty peaceful. I was wondering how it would interact with my female electic blue acara and if there would be any issues. There is plenty of structure in the tank and the eba is very peaceful

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
It's usually not good to mix Africans with New World Cichlids, but a lot of keepers do. The EBA is capable of adapting to a much wider range of water parameters than an Aulonocara. If your water is hard with a PH of 7.8 - 8.2 + there is a good chance of success. Although Aulonocara are often noted as peaceful, that classification is relative as compared to other African Cichlids. I keep some very aggressive Aulonocara. Research a few other Aulonocara varieties and consider adding 3 or 4 juveniles together with the Maylandi.

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
It's usually not good to mix Africans with New World Cichlids, but a lot of keepers do. The EBA is capable of adapting to a much wider range of water parameters than an Aulonocara. If your water is hard with a PH of 7.8 - 8.2 + there is a good chance of success. Although Aulonocara are often noted as peaceful, that classification is relative as compared to other African Cichlids. I keep some very aggressive Aulonocara. Research a few other Aulonocara varieties and consider adding 3 or 4 juveniles together with the Maylandi.
Ph is around 7.6-7.8 at any given time. I would add more but with the catfish I already have in the tank I only feel comfortable with adding 1 fish

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If the acara is the only cichlid in the tank so far, herein lies the rub.
It may see the entire footprint as its territory (as far as cichlids go, usually non-cichlids don't count in territorial disputes).
Because they are fairly similar in color and appearance, I believe you have a 50/50 chance that 1 of the two cichlids survive. If they were dis-similar in appearance, your chances would be better.
Similar looking cichlids, often have problems with each other, because similarity means competition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store