Would HOB be fine for my 55 gl??

wh0isthat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
Sault Ste Marie, Ont
HI!!

I am setting up a new 55 gallon SW. Right now i'm starting with FOWLR and perhaps moving slowly to a reef set up maybe. The tank I purchased came with 2 Marineland Penguin 350. I was wondering if I needed to switch to a overflow/sump and if they would make that HUGE of a difference in filtration?. The tank is not drilled but DIY over flows are easy. Or could I keep the HOB and add the sump. I know it's never too much filtration.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I would use both as it's really easy to overstock a saltwater aquarium not to mention that redundancy & overfiltration are nice things to have.

A sump gives you more water volume thereby making your system much more stable plus it allows you to hide most of your equipment & gives you room for much more live rock & media as well as a nice-sized refugium. HOBs don't always hold up very well in saltwater, but they will still work if you maintenance them often, e.g. clean the impeller and so on.

I'm running an AC 110 & a 20 gallon long sump on my 55 gallon (in addition to the protein skimmer), and I still think it's under-filtered.

1bigdovii

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
Virginia
I would use both.

A sump gives you more water volume thereby making your system much more stable plus it allows you to hide most of your equipment & gives you room for much more live rock & media as well as a nice-sized refugium. HOBs don't always hold up very well in saltwater, but they will still work if you maintenance them often, e.g. clean the impeller and so on.
+1 both would be the best on one of my tanks i have hob, canister, and sump. Definatly worth it imo.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store