would this mix of shrimp be ill advised? (blue bolt, crystal red, and tiger)

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
(so ive researched this mix of shrimp and on allot of the forums people really don’t know what theyre talking about and say that caridina shrimp will revert back to wild type coloring when mixed with other caridina which its my under that only really happens with neocaridina so if youre unsure or whatever please dont respond) so i have a tank with one crystal red shrimp and from what ive seen online if its crossed with blue bolts it makes a black and blue striped shrimp and some other varieties which is what i think im going to do. but id also like to add tiger shrimp to that mix. will this make something like a pinto or an interesting pattern or is it bad idea?

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Personally, I would just get 1 variety of shrimp, since your probably just going to get brown shrimp over time from all the interbreeding. So I don’t think you would get a interesting pattern since you’ll be stopping select breeding.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Personally, I would just get 1 variety of shrimp, since your probably just going to get brown shrimp over time from all the interbreeding. So I don’t think you would get a interesting pattern since you’ll be stopping select breeding.
do you actually know or are you just saying this? from what little i know caridina are not very prone to going brown. from my understanding with the mischlings the dominant traits will be displayed and the offspring patterns just becomes inconsistent due to recessive traits sometimes being displayed and sometimes not. so do you breed caridina and know what youre talking about or anything or is this just what youve heard?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
has anyone have caridinas go brown? it is indeed mostly with neocaridina right?

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
do you actually know or are you just saying this? from what little i know caridina are not very prone to going brown. from my understanding with the mischlings the dominant traits will be displayed and the offspring patterns just becomes inconsistent due to recessive traits sometimes being displayed and sometimes not. so do you breed caridina and know what youre talking about or anything or is this just what youve heard?
Ive haven’t personally done it, but I watched MD fish tank videos, he tried to mix different varieties of neocardinia in a tank, and the offspring came out brown.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
The simple fact is yes it's possible. Going from place to place getting the answer you don't want won't change the fact. If they do breed it will more then likely be a very plain looking shrimp.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
On the other hand I've seen some pretty cool looking "hybrids" in caridina shrimp only though. I've seen a couple of graphs on the internet that show you mixes of shrimp that work out well if/when they do interbreed.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Ive haven’t personally done it, but I watched MD fish tank videos, he tried to mix different varieties of neocardinia in a tank, and the offspring came out brown.
we ? are ? talking ? about ? caridina ? whole point of the thread. ik neos have a tendency of going brown supposedly caridinas do not.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
The simple fact is yes it's possible. Going from place to place getting the answer you don't want won't change the fact. If they do breed it will more then likely be a very plain looking shrimp.
its not a lack of the answer i want its the lack of an entire answer. bluebolt x crs definitely makes cool shrimp. crs x tiger and blue bolt x tiger both make sought after shrimp. so i think you might just kinda be flat out wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store