Would you give up a fish you may never be able to get again?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
For whatever reason it may be, would you? I am talking about a species that is very rare in the hobby, so much so you know the possibility to owning that species again won't happen.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I'm slightly confused about what this post is about. o.o I wouldn't give up asian aros for anything

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
For whatever reason it may be, would you? I am talking about a species that is very rare in the hobby, so much so you know the possibility to owning that species again won't happen.
what species we talking about here?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Whenever I have a pair of something, and lose 1 of that pair, be it rare or not, I usually trade it off or something on that order.
There are fish that have been on my list for years, but if I can only get 1, I usually pass.
I have wanted Iranocichla hormuzensus for decades, and was offered a male (just the 1) a while back, and had to pass. For me, if they can't spawn, there is no point.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
what species we talking about here?
It could be any, wondering if anyone has been in that situation. Reasons could be aggression, make way for something else, grown bored of it, etc.
Me specifically thinking of swapping out my astyanax bimculatus for larger wild livebarers like Xiphophorus and Poecilia species. I know once I get rid of these, there is almost no chance of getting this exact species again. Other astyanax species might be easier to find, but even they are tough to find in the U.S.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
i don't know. I fit was a dat or Asian aro that are rare but not to my taste, yes. But I will say I had 5 sarasa comets (not rare or expensive), and when my sister accidently gave them finrot by putting a 'carnival goldfish' in their tank, I bought them a hospital tank, paid $100+ in meds and completely tore down my DT twice trying to save them. If I like a fish, i will do what I can. If not I will sell it or give it away to someone who does. I don't see how rare comes into it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store