wrapping up salt treatment for betta with fin rot

Suzisuzisuzi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
I'm at day five of a salt treatment for my betta with moderate fin rot. He is doing notably better. He's actually fanning his fins out again some, he's active and dashing after his food again, and basically, minus some missing chunks of tail, his old self. I'm ready to move him out of his bowl into his new 3.5 gallon tank and I'm having trouble figuring out the best next steps.

First, should I put him back into fresh water now that he's clearly improved, and drip-line to re-acclimate him to fresh ASAP, or should I step down the salinity in his new tank the way I stepped it up in his bowl (replacing 25% of his fresh water with 1tsp/gal salt each day), starting with a matching salinity (day 5 it should be 76%) and changing some salted tank water out daily for unsalted chlorinated tap until it's effectively not salty?

Second my pet store and several sites reccommend following up the salt with bettafix. The betta fix says not to use with charcoal filters. Which is more important for his recovery and hopefully fin regrowth: bettafix, or getting his tank filtered ASAP? There will be no other creatures in the tank to worry about.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Bettafix is an antibacterial medication.
Charcoal tends to remove medication from the water, making it ineffective.
What I would do, is if I was using Bettafix, I would use a filter media without activated carbon.

Suzisuzisuzi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
Thanks! I'm still kinda new at this and it never occurred to me that you could use anything other than the pads that come with your tank. I'll do some research and see what can work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store