WTB: Green Moray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Next week, or the week after I was looking for a green moray or a SW wolffish (if they're even legal/avaliable). ANyone have one, or know of a lfs that has a smaller one?
Orange county area.
(I'd go for a conger too or some other oddball large eel. :) )

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The green wolf eels are very common (actually a blenny) in the trade. These fish reach about a foot and are voracious hunters.

The giant atlantic/pacific wolf fish (also a blenny) is protected, in the US, and can't be kept in other than public aquaria. There are 5 species. You may be able to keep the oriental wolf fish but, I've never seen one even in public aquaria in the US. These fish can reach 60" and require pristine cool water with a regular diet of sea urchins.

Green morays (Gymnothorax funebris) are another commonly available species. Plan on dropping a couple hundred for this species. (along with providing a huge aquarium to fit these 8 foot+ eels.)

As far as conger eels, you need to define down which one(s) first. There are over 100 species that are known by the term 'conger' eel. And, a number of them reach over 6 feet.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Oddball;1267754; said:
The green wolf eels are very common (actually a blenny) in the trade. These fish reach about a foot and are voracious hunters.

The giant atlantic/pacific wolf fish (also a blenny) is protected, in the US, and can't be kept in other than public aquaria. There are 5 species. You may be able to keep the oriental wolf fish but, I've never seen one even in public aquaria in the US. These fish can reach 60" and require pristine cool water with a regular diet of sea urchins.

Green morays (Gymnothorax funebris) are another commonly available species. Plan on dropping a couple hundred for this species. (along with providing a huge aquarium to fit these 8 foot+ eels.)

As far as conger eels, you need to define down which one(s) first. There are over 100 species that are known by the term 'conger' eel. And, a number of them reach over 6 feet.
Already have the green wolf eel. :D
Does't surprise me the Pacific wolf is illegal though. Thought it was worth asking about.
I'd be open to any congers that can take room temp or above . :)
If that doesn't work out, you know where to get a small green moray?

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
I wouldn't recommend a green moray unless you are prepared now to care for an 8'+ eel that will eat about 4-6 full sized markrel twice a day when it's about 4'+ in length.

Getting something like this and planning on only keeping it until it gets too big for you to handle is irresponsible.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
VLDesign;1268410; said:
I wouldn't recommend a green moray unless you are prepared now to care for an 8'+ eel that will eat about 4-6 full sized markrel twice a day when it's about 4'+ in length.

Getting something like this and planning on only keeping it until it gets too big for you to handle is irresponsible.
When did I say I was planning on getting rid of it when it got big? :)
My goal was to have a 8ft+ Green moray eventually.
I just wanted a small one because I like growing stuff from babys. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store