Newts
What are your prices?:
0-500+ depending on species
Where are you located?:
Calistoga, CA
Pickup or Able to Ship?:
Picking-Shipping
Description:
I am looking to purchase Newts. If you have any that you are willing to sell, please send me a PM. I am primarily looking for Asian newts bought before the 2015 import ban but am willing to consider any newt you may have. I am posting this here in the hope that someone might have a few of the following genus's that can be added to existing breeding groups. Unfortunately, the community of newt breeders is small and we simply do not have enough animals of some species to breed them. For instance I have had a single female Echinotriton Andersoni for 9 years now, I have never seen another Echinotriton Andersoni within the US during that time despite knowing the initial import was of 300+ animals.

I am primarily looking for species within the following genus's:
Laotriton (laos newts, Note: if you have adults, PLEASE SEND ME A PM, I am willing to make very large cash offers on the spot and/or trade CB f1 or f2 )
paramesotriton (warty newts)
tylototriton and Echinotriton (crocodile/emperor newts)
pachytriton (paddle tail newts)
cynops/ Hypselotriton (fire belly newts)​
Shipping method:
Acknowledgement:
I have read and agree to the Buy and Sell rules.

Reactions: TheLastKon

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
The plural of genus is genera. Lol

Newts are wonderful little amphibians, all we have where I live is Notophthalmus viridescens. Really cool to see someone taking breeding seriously.

RadioKilla

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
id call underground reptiles in florida and speak to ryan g, or even contact DM exotics

RadioKilla

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
also dave Kauffman on his YouTube channel had an episode with a newt breeder in europe, contact the breeder

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
The plural of genus is genera. Lol

Newts are wonderful little amphibians, all we have where I live is Notophthalmus viridescens. Really cool to see someone taking breeding seriously.
Thanks! I care immensely about newts. I consider them the pinnacle of my fish and herp keeping career as they combine the most challenging aspects of both into a very rewarding animal.

id call underground reptiles in florida and speak to ryan g, or even contact DM exotics
also dave Kauffman on his YouTube channel had an episode with a newt breeder in europe, contact the breeder
I know UG reptiles very well, The species they offer are from the new world and common within the caudata world. They also have many issues with disease and questionable acquisition. Mattais Muller (the European you referenced) is a friend but the import of newts is banned by the Lacey Act and even if it wasn't, his focus is on European and American newts, not Asian ones.

I appreciate comments like the above, but be aware, I check most sites where I might find newts daily. this WTB is to try and see if anyone has a newt in their personal collection they want to sell as people here might have bought an animal from before the import ban. Hundreds of Asian newts were imported in the early 2010's, very few of those were sold to breeders and so we are stuck in a situation where we might know 200-300 animals were imported but only 10-20 are currently kept by caudata breeders. As a part of my laotriton work, Ive developed a stud/breeder book that has identified the owners of 64 of the 100 laotriton imported to the US. There's still 36 animals that have disappeared despite working on the laotrition working group project since that initial import happened 7 years ago.

Posts like this are primarily to help find those animals and if the owner is willing, buy them and get them added to breeding groups (my own, or loaned to other breeders I trust)

RadioKilla

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
well my friend, I'm not sure how much luck you will have on the fish forums, but id just join as many as possible, and even the different herp and fish fb groups, and keep posting your ads.

id also call every herp store in the country. like you said the animals are out there, im sure if you leave every stone un turned u will find the ones that are still alive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store