Wtf is this

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Was it moving once you took it out of the water and not just blowing around in the current?

I just feel the need to ask because I've seen a fair number instances of people asking, "What's this worm that came out of my fish? It's alive and squirming around!" No, it is poop. :)

• Haha
Reactions: deeda

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Mmmm, suspiciously like an earthworm that has spent months under water to me. Try removing it to a container and checking how it fares out of water, maybe add some soil at one end of the container.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Things arguing against planarian (free living flat worm) -
- Not flat, that thing is round!
- It appears to contain spherical, separately walled things inside, like capsules. Could be egg/embryo cases. Not a free-living flatworm.
- Could be a taenia-like internal platyhelminth.

Things arguing against roundworm (nematode) -
- Very large, only possibility something like an earthworm
- It appears to contain rounded, separately walled things inside, like capsules. Could be egg/embryo cases. If this is the case, then no earthworm, as those have specific areas (clitellum) where eggs are produced/stored prior to release.

Actions suggested:
Remove & fix in a vial with alcohol, for later examination.
Keep an eye on fish, or appearance of similar things on tank bottom
Treat all tank with internal parasite treatment.

Reactions: Deadeye

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Mmmm, suspiciously like an earthworm that has spent months under water to me. Try removing it to a container and checking how it fares out of water, maybe add some soil at one end of the container.
I’d expect it to be more broken down. Not so round and smooth.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Just felt that if you zoom in you can still see the rings which are formed from the muscle of the worm which after a while under water with little food have smoothed off somewhat.
Obviously earthworms would not die underwater as they do not have lungs and instead breath through their skin oxygen directly into their bloodstream, so as long as the tank has good dissolved oxygen content the worm would not drown.
Also thought that if you zoom in you can also see the saddle of the worm at the leftmost end of the worm.
But it could of course be any of the other mentioned things.

Reactions: Preacher and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store