MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego

Reactions: Htat

Htat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Grains free Bug sticks is good for Central American cichlid ? They said it’s good for African cichlid

187E07AC-AA30-448A-97E8-791A711E8035.jpeg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
When you do some reading on starches/carbohydrates in fish feed, the picture is "fragmentary" to quote one science paper, in terms of effects of varying formulas on varying species. Some things are well documented and cited in multiple studies or papers, such as intestinal inflammation caused by certain ingredients or combinations of ingredients--- most forms of soy or soy and peas in combination, for example. In any case, while some are better than others and some studies appear to favor some ingredients, I'm personally wary of high content of starchy ingredients, especially for carnivorous fish.
Dietary Carbohydrate Utilization by Fish
Warmwater omnivorous fish have a greater potential to utilize dietary carbohydrate as an energy source to spare protein, than do coldwater and carnivorous species which utilize dietary carbohydrate poorly or not at all. This will place restrictions on the use of plant protein sources, which contain significant quantities of. carbohydrate in diets for coldwater and carnivorous fish.
Of course, fish feeding is a topic with a lot of different opinions... so this is mine. As much as anything I trust my own experience with fish foods.

Reactions: Htat
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store