YAY! I GOT AN EEL!

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
i was @ petco the other day to get crickets for my lizrd, pellets for my oecar, and filter media. well i decided to look at the tanks while i was waiting for my crickets and i saw some little eels about 3-4". the price was $14.99, and i was a little unsure because of my past experience with a fire eel. so i got my crickets, ff,and media then left. a few days later i said what he heck and went back to get one, or five. well they only had 2 and my brother wanted one so we each got one. ended up paying $5.99 with PALS card! :cheers: . so now its in a 29 gal. eaing frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. oh ya, its a tire track eel. i know they get too big for the 29, so i might put it in with my 75gal. with my school of "rocket gars" when i get them. :headbang2

p.s. i though eels didnt color up untill they're at least 8". idk why, i guess 'cause my fire eels was pretty drab untill about 10" then he lit up the tank.

so what u think? i for one wasnt sure about buying from petco like that tho, just 'cause everyfish i buy from there doesnt want to eat and eventually dies. but i had them feed it first and they both attacked a ball of brine shrimp. whats good mixers with these guys? ive got a blue gill aout 3" with it right now, just 'cause.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
i thought bluegills get real mean in a tank...does ur bluegill even show any aggression to ur eel. i put a 3" bluegill in with cichlids the same size and the next day they were either tore up or dead :shakehead

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
They're peaceful monster fish, so you should be able to mix them with other peaceful monster fish. Many South American catfish falls into this category, so do many many other fishes out there. I've had success keeping tire tracks with semi-aggressive cichlids as well.

rixy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
cornwall,england
i had ciclids and they harassed the fire eel all the time.eventually he would hide all the time too scared to come out.

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
As Ming said, they are pretty peaceful... they will outgrow your 75, too, though (I've seen specimens of this species at close to 3'!). They also aren't true eels, but are still neat fish. :)

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
fishnthings said:
i thought bluegills get real mean in a tank...does ur bluegill even show any aggression to ur eel. i put a 3" bluegill in with cichlids the same size and the next day they were either tore up or dead :shakehead
i wasunsure about the bluegill too, untill my eel cased it around the tank. (reminds me of my chihuha chasing my labrador). but ive also seen my bg look at the eel a lil funny,then tries to get it, but the el either burrows or hides in his rock palace i mad him, or her.

i didnt realize it would outgrow a 75 gal. how big do thse guys actually get?

and what do u mean there not actul eels, i mean ...what is an actual eel?

OFF TOPIC: arent electric eels realy amphibians, 'cause they breath air and "slither" to differ. water holes......dont they?

p.s. GO CHIHUHA :headbang2

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Tire track eels are one of the largest of the spiney eels and get to 3' long or so and like other spineys like the water conditions of a standard com. tank. One thing that make them not a true eel is that they have caudal fins and another is that they don't go through an elver stage. They are more closely related to loaches. Electric eels are fish, not amphibians. Among other things they have lifetime gills and do not go through metamophisis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store