yellow and blueish cichlid with strips? Sex?

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
Hi I recently received 2 new cichlids but was wondering what is the exact species name for these 2? and their sex? They seem to be the most active and most friendly fish of the tank. Sometimes the yellow one will chase the one with the strips away but mostly are around each other. They mostly kind of swim all over mid to top level of the tank and kind of greet you too when you are near the tank. Any info would be much appreciated thanks.

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi I recently received 2 new cichlids but was wondering what is the exact species name for these 2? and their sex? They seem to be the most active and most friendly fish of the tank. Sometimes the yellow one will chase the one with the strips away but mostly are around each other. They mostly kind of swim all over mid to top level of the tank and kind of greet you too when you are near the tank. Any info would be much appreciated thanks.

View attachment 1379851

View attachment 1379852

View attachment 1379853

View attachment 1379855

View attachment 1379851

View attachment 1379852

View attachment 1379853

View attachment 1379855

They are African Mbuna Cichlids. Tbh don't know what species they are.
RD. RD.
james99 james99

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The most common yellow Mbuna found in the hobby is Labidochromis caeruleous (or hybrids thereof) which it closely resembles, although there are a number of other yellow Mbuna, like Metriaclima barlowi.
And there are so many similar looking blue species, for me almost impossible to distinguish between them.

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
Oh really that explains why i couldn't find much on them since they looked strange and i couldnt figure out what they were. So likely hybrids. I might have to get rid of them they attacked 3 of my fish and all 3 are equal to 3 times their size. I thought it might have been the Convict but i just saw these 2 chase the livingstoni and nipped at one of the much bigger bifa. The 3 that got attacked have some broken damaged fins.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Sounds about right, zebras can be jerks and are usually in the tanks labeled “mixed Mbuna cichlid” Livingstoni being an open water Hap wouldn’t As territorial as the rock dwelling mbuna.
It’s easier to keep haps or haps and peacocks together and mbuna on their own- they are a lot like tropheus but dialed back a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store