Yellow Fin Chalceus Shoal

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Where did you get them from if you don't mind? Rapps?

Friggin awesome!

Asian_Redtail_Catfish

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2006
United States
Peter McFarlane;2760821; said:
I've never heard of a yellow fin chalceus.

I have a pink tailed chalceus, looks identical although the entire caudal fin on mine is totally pink/purple. Where as yours looks lower half same colour as mine, but upper caudal fin is clear? Is yours a variation of [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]macrolepidotus? or different sp?[/SIZE][/FONT]
Chalceus erythrurus,the lower fin is yellow and the scales tend to stand out more.

Asian_Redtail_Catfish

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2006
United States
DB junkie;2760888; said:
Where did you get them from if you don't mind? Rapps?

Friggin awesome!
In my area, this fish is availabe all the time because a wholesaler carries this fish.

Sometimes this fish is labled the Pink tail Chalceus but that is a different species and it looks different.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
There are 2 species of pink tail chalceus under the same common name.

One has a round nose and yellow lower fins; the other has a pointed nose and faint red stripe. I have the latter one. I keep one in a 75 gal as they are highly conspecific agressive, so you can either keep one or a group in a big tank.

PTC are surface dweller, and mine has never ventured down for food. Yours are all over the tank, suggesting they are cramped in tight space. They look stressed and I’m surprised they haven’t tear one another up yet.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Has anyone had them with discus before?
I don’t think you have problem keeping PTC with discus. They are only conspecific aggressive, but show no aggression towards other fish. Mine won’t even bother small fish that can fit into his mouth. Keeping alone, mine is inactive and can stay motionless at one place. In a group at the dealer tank, they dart around and battle one another with broken nose apparently from locking jaw or banging glass.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

RubenFitton1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2017
South africa
I don’t think you have problem keeping PTC with discus. They are only conspecific aggressive, but show no aggression towards other fish. Mine won’t even bother small fish that can fit into his mouth. Keeping alone, mine is inactive and can stay motionless at one place. In a group at the dealer tank, they dart around and battle one another with broken nose apparently from locking jaw or banging glass.
Thx for the quick reply

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store