Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Yellow Lab Please help turning white

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Crisco76, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Crisco76

Crisco76 MFK Members

Chris
      May 8, 2018
      Hello. I have a few yellow labs that appear to be turning white from tail up. Not fuzz or ick. The water parameters are 0 and 0 and 10 or so and do 40% wc 2x a week. Temp is 78-80 and ph naturally high in city water. I can't find any info. I think she's being harassed a bit by the dominant male but I assumed breeding and mating. She wasn't this color 2 weeks ago. I'll attach pic the bright yellow one isn't her but same color they were for reference. View attachment 1299202 View attachment 1299203 View attachment 1299204 View attachment 1299205 View attachment 1299206 View attachment 1299202 View attachment 1299202

2. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      Yesterday at 10:20 PM

It sounds like a stress related issue but not certain. Is it possible for you to separate to another aquarium for awhile ?

3. Crisco76

Crisco76 MFK Members

Chris
      May 8, 2018
      Yes I can. There is a quarantine container with hob, heater and has a large yellow Cichlid that was being bullied and due to the stress was turning blackish all over and with the stress lowering immune he was developing some milky tail and fin jagged rot. He turned yellow within hours and has almost put in his time. But in 2 diff 55g that I have there is one in each of them that has this white issue and I know the main tank he is the dominant or one of the most so that's why it puzzles me. it's like the color is completely gone off. And they eat and are active still. Her was a more rapid change tho the others were slower much slower change from yellow to this white color but I think it may be able to spread too

4. Crisco76

Crisco76 MFK Members

Chris
      May 8, 2018
      Could it be anything else? not ick or xottom

5. markstrimaran

markstrimaran MFK Members

mark
      Jul 7, 2018
      To many males, in a small territory.
      The less dominant ones, become drab in color.

How big is the tank? What the male/female ratio?

6. Crisco76

Crisco76 MFK Members

Chris
      May 8, 2018
      Thŕe tank she is in currently is only a 40gallon long. There is a total of 4 yellow labs with only 1 being a definite male. 1 yellow tail acei juvenile which are pretty docile like labs. Today she isnt as white which was so strange. But in another one of my tanks the most dominant has this white scale issue also and because I'm still learning I didn't know any better

7. Crisco76

Crisco76 MFK Members

Chris
      May 8, 2018
      40g 4 yellow labs 1 male I know of, 1 blue tail acai juvenile

8. markstrimaran

markstrimaran MFK Members

mark
      Jul 7, 2018
      I have about 20 yellow labs, spread out over 6 tanks, some of them. When stressed turn dirty black. They are all line bred, great grand parents were brother and sister. So the genetics get amplified with each generation.

The white might just be a albino trait, similar to my black dirty. 20170701_094844.jpg 20170606_155311.jpg
      This is the other line, solid yellow, with white. Their all related, just selectivey bred.
      Male and female here. About 75% of their fry are yellow with no black. Currenlty about 1" growing out.

9. Crisco76

Crisco76 MFK Members

Chris
      May 8, 2018

10. Crisco76

Crisco76 MFK Members

Chris
      May 8, 2018
      Ya I had 3 originally that I got last summer one whom I have had health issues with, but he's better now. I then inherited 32 more from a rescue. I do have one that was black all over with the side bars and was beginning to show signs of jagged fins and staying up beneath my 350 hob overhang..I relocated him to a quarantine container and within hours he was all yellow. I have others with the predominant black black fins, lines across the eyes and pelvis anal fins black. There's a few with the full on facial beard also. I have not vented or tried to do this yet. I know they can look strikingly the same males and females and that sub dominant ones can easily look like a female. I had never seen this one turn white before. She has since turned back to her yellow self. I will keep a eye on that tank and aggression, parameters etc. It's so hard to know what's been bred with what and where they originated from. I know besides this and some alpha male scrapping I really don't ever see aggression but I guess rarely do we see it just the aftermath kinda