Yellow Tang has brownish / white spot on his forehead - PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY

JWP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
I've had this yellow tang for a few weeks. I began to notice this skin issue occurring and it seems to be getting worse slowly.
Food :
- frozen brine shrimp (3 X's a week)
- new life spectrum (2 X's daily)
Tank Mates :
- 2 maroon clown fish
- several snails, hermits, etc.
- a few corals, see pics above

***He eats a lot and is extremely active so I'm unsure if this is serious or a normal.

Thank you for the help

Photo 1 Yellow Tang.PNG

Photo 2 Yellow Tang.PNG

Photo 3 Yellow Tang.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've had this yellow tang for a few weeks. I began to notice this skin issue occurring and it seems to be getting worse slowly.
Food :
- frozen brine shrimp (3 X's a week)
- new life spectrum (2 X's daily)
Tank Mates :
- 2 maroon clown fish
- several snails, hermits, etc.
- a few corals, see pics above

***He eats a lot and is extremely active so I'm unsure if this is serious or a normal.

Thank you for the help

View attachment 1411430

View attachment 1411431

View attachment 1411434
Looks like a scrape but not completely sure.

twentyleagues twentyleagues

Reactions: twentyleagues

JWP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
Thank you for the response, I'm hopeful that is the case. I've had the saltwater / reef tank for a couple years and this is my first fish issue. Thanks again!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The yellow tang needs vegetation in it's diet and lots of it, I recommend you feed nori sheets (seaweed) and it is a good idea to soak it in selcon or other vitamin additives. The pellets and frozen meaty foods are not a solid diet for a tang, they are mostly herbivorous grazers in the wild. "hole in the head" lateral line erosion is common in tangs often stemming from poor diet. Looks like your tang is starting to show symptoms of this, I see some small holes in side of head by eyes and gillplate.

Looks almost like something is growing on it's head in the first picture, a little hard to see. Could be a bacterial infection if it got scraped on something, coupled with what I suspect is the HLLE

JWP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
thank you for responding. I also think this is the case, in your experience if I'm able to change diet quickly, can we recover?

Thank you,

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
thank you for responding. I also think this is the case, in your experience if I'm able to change diet quickly, can we recover?

Thank you,
I think that is your best bet. I used to work at a Petco and we would get emaciated bleached out yellow tangs in often, feed them as much nori as they could eat and they would get fat and yellow again in a few weeks. I would get the selcon as well and soak the nori in it.

JWP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
I bought some OMEGA ONE Super Veggie seaweed sheets. We'll see what happens, she is eating it.

Yellow Tang Pic #4.PNG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store