You guys had to see this before--

Tropical Joe

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
Queens NY
African Cichlids scratching on gravel or on rocks ? I see this a lot at pet shops. Its not ich. What causes this and what is the cure ? Thanks-

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
well without examining the fish no one can know for sure so.... the link explores some of the reasons fish flash .

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
is this your fish? or the stores? just curious. fin rot is usually due to poor water conditions. before you add anything you need to address this. what are your water parameters? do you check them? how often? water change schedule? etc maybe a mod can move this into the disease thread where it can get more attention? kno4te kno4te Oddball Oddball

Reactions: deeda and kno4te

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Is it excessive or just occasionally? I wouldn’t suggest using anything yet. If these are fish you are looking to purchase would suggest QT them just to be sure. But my cichlids do this occasionally but certainly not excessively.
I am by no means an expert but I see this behavior elevated in males when defending a territory and often times right before a spawn. I have always attributed it to normal cichlid behavior.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So are these ur fish or just something to ask Tropical Joe? Could be a lot of things. Bad water, ph swings/Gh adjustment, water change, infection, normal behavior, etc. If at your lfs then don’t buy risky fish. If your fish or a rare fish then buy and qt. I agree with The Morning’s recommendations.

Also it’s been reported so it can be moved. I can’t move it myself.

Reactions: BichirKing

Tropical Joe

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
Queens NY
Yes these are my fish. I believe I caught it early. I just added new fish in the tank the other day. You see what happens when you don't have a QT tank. Dang! Anyway I raised the temp. added salt and I am using SeaChem ParaGuard. First indication fish were scratching. Then fin and tail rot started to show. I hope this bangs it out---- I do a water change about every 10 days. Only have this issue when I start buying fish--- Thanks for all the help

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Mind me asking how many fish approximate size and gallons of the tank. 10 days is pretty long time on a stocked tank. I do mine every 4 days and it is a 75-90% change every time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store