You will be missed

pulchra

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2010
Holland
This was a sad and hard week.
My pup pearl x snow leopard died and a day later my albino.
My albino was just 10-11 cm 2 years ago.
My proudest possession.

All because i gave them expired food which i didnt know cause i just had it from the market..
This hit me so hard, im considering to stop...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry for the loss.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Damn that's sad, especially because it was so preventable. Sorry about the loss, I remember how sad I was when I lost my oscar, he was my prized possession, but you can't let it stop you.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Sorry about this. Never a good thing. What type of food? It was spoiled food?

Reactions: Matteus

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Sorry for the loss

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I’m sorry for your loss. They were both very gorgeous fish.

Can you elaborate about the expired food? What kind of food was it? I am currently feeding food that is past its best before date so I am curious as to what it was.

I am also wondering how you deduced it to the food? Not to be super bossy but hoping to learn from this terrible experience.

Also please don’t stop, we are here for you.

Reactions: Jexnell

pulchra

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2010
Holland
Thanks for the support guys. In 2 weeks im going to pick up 2 albino male pups and will start all over again. To be honest this albino male was my saving. I had a realy hard time and i worked so hard to get him. 1,5-2 years ago almost nobody could get 1 as a private keeper so that was really a big thing. But anyhow. I hope the 2 new albinos will give me the same joy.

I buy frozen shrimp and mussel from the market.
I always though i was doing good. They cost me more but it is better than from grocery shop.

Why im so sure it was the food is because i just opened the mussel. I gave them mussel (3 times that day, yes i feed them 3 times a day) and the next day all 4 were acting weird. They didnt want to eat and all tried to swim around and dont let theire belly touch the bottom. (Signs of wounds on theire stomach or stomach ache)

My water is always perfect. No diseases. Nothing really. I have checked everything.

That day i saw the albino swimming weird. Werider than rest of them. Backflipping and so.
He was just to active. I called one of the best breeders (worldwide known) from whom i bought him 1,5-2 years ago. He told me it happens so now and then also at the breeding facility. Its most always because of bad food and 80% of the time it is the mussel. He told me it will be ok. Just raise the temp to 30-31°c and change 50% water. Keep the lights off and no feeding at all.

So i was like ok no panic its a common thing.
After one 1 hour i came home but i was too late. He was already gone. That day and the day after the 2 who survived (the boesemani and pearl) crapped the tank full. Like really it was so nasty. Like having 20 rays pooping for a week.

After that they went back to normal. I have opened new bag of food. I still buy the shrim there but the mussel elsewhere. Also i try to avoid feeding mussel. I cant take more dead rays now

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
you may want to consider frozen food instead..... the problem with fresh food is usually due to storage

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store