Young Dat getting too Fat

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Good point about their natural water temps, that's likely true -- though soon after they're caught as tiny little babies and brought to fish shops/farms they're put into tanks with quite a bit warmer water temps. Also I'm not saying these higher temps are ideal for overall long-term health (in fact the opposite is likely true), just that they probably stimulate feeding.

In fact I'd love to cool down the water in all my tanks, but short of buying chillers, which are very expensive here, esp. larger models, this just isn't practical. The rainy season is on it's way next month, so looking forward to some slightly lower temps.

With your Dats and even more so with peeps in USA/Europe, the fish also had to go through more arduous international trips to get to your fish tank, whereas mine is more direct, much less stress on the fish, so not surprising survival rate is lower outside of Thailand/Vietnam unfortunately.

And thanks for the compliment, though imho awesome will be if I can successfully grow him to 10-12"+. I've read about the Sudden Death Syndrome thingy with Dats, esp. NTT, that has me a little worried in the back of my mind, but nothing I can do about that but try my best -- starting with current diet, he really is getting fat, which isn't healthy.
Barrett if you’re running a sump you can add those little clip on fans and point them directly on your water in the sump, guarantee it’ll knock off 3-5 degreees. I would suggest you doing that directly on your tank but since you have aros that’s probably a no go

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
I've read about the Sudden Death Syndrome thingy with Dats, esp. NTT, that has me a little worried in the back of my mind, but nothing I can do about that but try my best -- starting with current diet, he really is getting fat, which isn't healthy.
That syndrome is REAL and it annoys most NTT keepers ie Me. You have to face things like sunken belly, heavy laboured breathing, glueing itself in a corner of something..

For tiny baby Dats, fat is healthy indeed. A reputable exporter of ITs once shared that a healthy baby Datnoid should not stop eating everytime food (in any form) is offered. Responsibility then is on you to control food intake.

Guilty myself.. :nilly:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Barrett if you’re running a sump you can add those little clip on fans and point them directly on your water in the sump, guarantee it’ll knock off 3-5 degreees. I would suggest you doing that directly on your tank but since you have aros that’s probably a no go
Thx Dloks, that's a positive point about sumps I hadn't really considered; unfortunately I'm not using them now for a couple of reasons (and none of my tanks are drilled) but might some day.

I also considered a small fan around the top of each Aro tank (which would also keep insects away from the lights) -- because as you can see my lids have plastic webbing with holes, but I'm not sure how much difference it would make, the tank already has good surface agitation via large air stone, OH filter and big sponge filter. Worth a try though if I used a decent sized fan.

Reactions: Matteus and Dloks

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That syndrome is REAL and it annoys most NTT keepers ie Me. You have to face things like sunken belly, heavy laboured breathing, glueing itself in a corner of something.
Yep,quite a few of us members have dealt with it in the past. I made a discussion thread about it a few years ago and I have since pretty much even stopped buying thinbars due to the deaths back then.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yep,quite a few of us members have dealt with it in the past. I made a discussion thread about it a few years ago and I have since pretty much even stopped buying thinbars due to the deaths back then.
I found one thread via Search that had some info/input from members but couldn't find your thread, plz let me know if you can find the link.

In any case it seems there aren't any scientifically based reasons discovered yet unfortunately -- and it's still a mystery/keep your fingers crossed kind of deal. Personally wondering if it be some strange parasite we don't know about? Has anyone ever done any autopsy on the fish?

Reactions: Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm going with some kind of parasite...in the gills perhaps.I dont know if anyone's done a necropsy on these fish.I recall one particular thinbar I raised to a decent size before it died.A growth had formed on it's forehead and after the fish died I sliced the growth and wound up removing a nearly four inch worm from the opening.
Actually,l do recall making a thread about that with photos so it could be that I only posted on the sudden death syndrome threads.It was quite a number of years ago.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Ha, ha, He's so hungry. He literally seems to be shadowing the FT. He looks very healthy to me, not fat, not thin.

Reactions: islandguy11
All I have to say is that's one of the cutest fish I've ever seen.

I'm going with some kind of parasite...in the gills perhaps.I dont know if anyone's done a necropsy on these fish.I recall one particular thinbar I raised to a decent size before it died.A growth had formed on it's forehead and after the fish died I sliced the growth and wound up removing a nearly four inch worm from the opening.
Actually,l do recall making a thread about that with photos so it could be that I only posted on the sudden death syndrome threads.It was quite a number of years ago.
UUGGH!!! You should have fed it to exodons as revenge.

• Haha
Reactions: islandguy11

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
All I have to say is that's one of the cutest fish I've ever seen.

UUGGH!!! You should have fed it to exodons as revenge.
I think I tossed it out on the back roof for the sparrows to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store