Zebra Pleco ( L46)...???

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
So, these happen to be my favorite plecos. They are a little different from most, as they don't eat a lot of vegetation. They prefer a higher protein diet, and do very well with rock work and lots of current. They are reclusive and spend a lot of time hiding. Healthy specimens dart from place to place very quickly. Be wary of ones that move slowly.

If you can find them for $50, buy them all (or tell me so I can). They used to retail around $25-30, but that was 10 years ago. Typically, they go for $125ish now. It's not a great price, but it's "reasonable" (well as reasonable as 125 can be).

Mine (4) reside in a 120g at the moment. I'm contemplating adding another 4 and turning this 120 into a zebra pleco tank entirely (maybe adding a couple of red severums), but we'll see.

Brengun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Qld, Australia
In Australia a zebra pleco fry will set you back about $800 to $1000 and an actual breeding adult should anyone be silly enough to part with one goes for $3,000.

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
You should check out the chocolate zebra pleco. They're pretty too. Not as much contrast as the black and white of the zebra pleco, but still very nice!

DiscusOnly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2008
Mt. Laurel NJ
we4wieners;4486101; said:
My LFS sent out emails to customers taking orders for the zebra pleco, L46. Any one have any info...they are going for $299.99 and they are 1-1.5 ".
View attachment 534347

I know which store you are talking about. I am curious to find out who the local breeder is. Mabye I can go to them directly. $299 for that size is way too much. $150 top for F1. My guess would be 1/3 of their asking price.

Planetnicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2010
USA NJ
I want one so bad. they go off for like 100 now a days.
id say advice your LFS they might be buying them way over priced cause they are never going to sell the poor little guys

and whats up with aussi and plecs ive been hearing they are ridiculously expensive there. I feel like a breeder could make some serious money in australia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store