Zonatus?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of the most distinctive features of zonatum that shows up on Mo's pics, is the dark diagonal bar between the eye and the edge of the gill plate. It is clear at about 5-6 inches.
The problem in identifying any of the Vieja types before they are mature, they almost all look the same. To be sure, one must have patience.

ToyotaNation

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2011
in my Tegu's cage
duanes;5016319; said:
One of the most distinctive features of zonatum that shows up on Mo's pics, is the dark diagonal bar between the eye and the edge of the gill plate. It is clear at about 5-6 inches.
The problem in identifying any of the Vieja types before they are mature, they almost all look the same. To be sure, one must have patience.
I agree. thanks guys! illl post pics after they do some growin.

feverdream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Bakersfield
I have Zonatus and Bifas... I got the Zs at a larger size than this, so I can't say for sure... but your fish looks more like a Bifa to me.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
My first thought was either guttulatus or hartwegi but being that it came from an lfs there's also the very real possibility it could be a hybrid.

Regalblue

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
MI.
My first thought was either guttulatus or hartwegi but being that it came from an lfs there's also the very real possibility it could be a hybrid.
This is the same as what I'm thinking
Don't think It's a Bifa, it doesn't have 2 stripes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store