Pond?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I agree with duanes duanes , those foldy-floppy gizmos are pretty temporary. As in most things, you get what you pay for. When you buy a $40 chunk of lightweight plastic, and then expect it to withstand sun and weather while remaining soft and pliable for takedown and re-assembly, you're going to be disappointed sooner than later. Indoors in your garage, it's partially protected, but it' still a flimsy short-lived product although it will probably last longer in that setting.

There's another factor at play here, IMHO. Anyone old enough to remember drinking out of the hose while playing outside, also remembers that the very first mouthful of water that was sitting in the hose for awhile...will absolutely be the last time you do that! Gotta run the water long enough to flush out the hose with fresh clean water. The plasticizers used in the manufacture of the hose...or kiddie pool...leach out into the water, they dont taste good, and they can't be good for you.

Many of the ultra-cautious rock-boiling school of aquarium keeping have claimed that these plasticizers are harmful. I don't know but I don't want them in the water...and I sure don't want a container constructed entirely of plastic that is emitting them. Yes, I know lots of folks use them and seem to be okay. Good for them! Lots of folks also smoke all their lives and seem to be okay...until they're not.

Those rigid black stock tanks like the one shown in post #8 above are the ticket. Durable, long-lasting, no maintenance required, come in lots of sizes. I just picked up my 7th one recently. I put one or two well-aged concrete blocks into each one, providing cover for the fish and also raised "shelves" on which to place pots for growing emersed plants. Plop a heavy, gritty, sharp-edged block on the bottom, slide it around as required, never a worry about damage or leaks.

I dare you to try that with one of those goofy collapsible things! :)

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I agree with duanes duanes , those foldy-floppy gizmos are pretty temporary. As in most things, you get what you pay for. When you buy a $40 chunk of lightweight plastic, and then expect it to withstand sun and weather while remaining soft and pliable for takedown and re-assembly, you're going to be disappointed sooner than later. Indoors in your garage, it's partially protected, but it' still a flimsy short-lived product although it will probably last longer in that setting.

There's another factor at play here, IMHO. Anyone old enough to remember drinking out of the hose while playing outside, also remembers that the very first mouthful of water that was sitting in the hose for awhile...will absolutely be the last time you do that! Gotta run the water long enough to flush out the hose with fresh clean water. The plasticizers used in the manufacture of the hose...or kiddie pool...leach out into the water, they dont taste good, and they can't be good for you.

Many of the ultra-cautious rock-boiling school of aquarium keeping have claimed that these plasticizers are harmful. I don't know but I don't want them in the water...and I sure don't want a container constructed entirely of plastic that is emitting them. Yes, I know lots of folks use them and seem to be okay. Good for them! Lots of folks also smoke all their lives and seem to be okay...until they're not.

Those rigid black stock tanks like the one shown in post #8 above are the ticket. Durable, long-lasting, no maintenance required, come in lots of sizes. I just picked up my 7th one recently. I put one or two well-aged concrete blocks into each one,
Typical jjohnwm jjohnwm , always making a thread more interesting with his unique remarks, examples, stories and what not!

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Typical jjohnwm jjohnwm , always making a thread more interesting with his unique remarks, examples, stories and what not!
I live to serve...

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I live to serve...
Well, we are honored to have such a loyal servant, who spares no chance at entertaining us and never hesitant to absolutely slaughter esoxlucius esoxlucius .

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well, we are honored to have such a loyal servant, who spares no chance at entertaining us and never hesitant to absolutely slaughter esoxlucius esoxlucius .
Not at all! I consider myself and Esox to be like two similar bird species on different continents, both filling the same ecological niche.

I'm one of those iconic Canadian birds, the Boreal Chickadee.

Esox is, I suppose, one of the similar but distinct British Tits. :)

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm pretty sure he doesn't take it seriously; he knows I'm just a primitive backwoods colonial...:)

Enough thread derailing! I wanna hear more about Joshuakahan Joshuakahan 's pond!

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Like duanes duanes and jjohnwm jjohnwm said vinyl/plastic ponds will always deteriorate after about 1 year in enclosed conditions and sooner if left in the open. While I've never seen them outright explode they do develop holes and unless you're nearby it's highly likely your fish are going to end up dead. I have heard about some stock water tanks becoming brittle but only in areas where it snows/freezing temperatures.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I ran an Intex 10 by 5 pool in my basement for 2 years without issue. Switched to Rubbermaid 300 gallon tubs for peace of mind. Always scared me having that much water in the Intex for that long.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store