Tiger Oscar lost appetite and exhibiting weird "floating" around top and bottom of tank

V3Kilo

Feeder Fish
May 8, 2024
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
20 ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have a 55 gallon tank with two ~8 month old Oscars in it. The albino is about 3 inches long and the black one about 5 inches. About a week ago the black Oscar stopped eating entirely, which is unusual due to his typical voracious appetite. Yesterday I noticed him floating at the top of the tank a lot, tilted up with his mouth towards the surface. I'm thinking it's SBD, possibly due to overeating or bacteria. I have done the following so far:

Tested pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels. All low or normal. I frequently do water changes, the last one being ~30% approximately 5 days ago.

Started a treatment of Melafix yesterday, increased today to 2x and will continue the seven day course.

Increased the water temperature from 76 to 80 F. Thermometer readings indicate that the tank is running a bit colder than the heater setting, somewhere between 0.8 and 1.0 F. I will adjust this tomorrow if it is still too low.

Auto feeder is now off. It had been feeding a mix of Aqueon pellets and the orange shrimp sticks (ground up) which could possibly have been being gorged on unbeknownst to me and causing expansion in the digestive tract.

I am monitoring the situation as closely as I can, but the tank is at my place of work so I am not there in the evening.

Does anyone know if my diagnosis sounds reasonable? Is there anything I could be doing to help that I may have missed? Any input is most appreciated. This dude is my homie and I want to make sure I do everything I can to help him pull through.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d increase water changes to 50% twice a week. With the effort to keep ammonia 0,nitrite zero and nitrate less than 20 ppm. Not sure if it’s SBD but could be. I’d definitely not feed for atleast a week till fish show normal behavior. Dose some epsom salt, 3 tbsp per 5g, and monitor the poop. Looking out for IP, white and stringy.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I second the stop feeding and epsom salt treatment. It is also an oscar, some of the most temperamental fish I've ever had. Hope it's just pouting about some perceived injustice you have committed against it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 55 gallon tank with two ~8 month old Oscars in it. The albino is about 3 inches long and the black one about 5 inches. About a week ago the black Oscar stopped eating entirely, which is unusual due to his typical voracious appetite. Yesterday I noticed him floating at the top of the tank a lot, tilted up with his mouth towards the surface. I'm thinking it's SBD, possibly due to overeating or bacteria. I have done the following so far:

Tested pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels. All low or normal. I frequently do water changes, the last one being ~30% approximately 5 days ago.

Started a treatment of Melafix yesterday, increased today to 2x and will continue the seven day course.

Increased the water temperature from 76 to 80 F. Thermometer readings indicate that the tank is running a bit colder than the heater setting, somewhere between 0.8 and 1.0 F. I will adjust this tomorrow if it is still too low.

Auto feeder is now off. It had been feeding a mix of Aqueon pellets and the orange shrimp sticks (ground up) which could possibly have been being gorged on unbeknownst to me and causing expansion in the digestive tract.

I am monitoring the situation as closely as I can, but the tank is at my place of work so I am not there in the evening.

Does anyone know if my diagnosis sounds reasonable? Is there anything I could be doing to help that I may have missed? Any input is most appreciated. This dude is my homie and I want to make sure I do everything I can to help him pull through.
Welcome aboard
Tbh a 55 gallon is too small for 2 Oscars also tight for a full grown mature Oscar.

Reactions: kno4te

V3Kilo

Feeder Fish
May 8, 2024
Thank you so much! I feel better knowing how funky Oscars can be. I know I can Google this, but how much Epsom salt do you use per gallon?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store