PDA

View Full Version : styrofoam under tank?

toxicfish
01-12-2006, 7:58 PM
How important is it to have styrofoam between the bottom of the tank and the top of the stand? And what is the meaning for it? I see it recomended alot on aquarium sites.

DiXoN
01-12-2006, 8:03 PM
i would always have something between the 2 asit stops cracks developing due to imperfections in the stand or even the tank.
i actualy use a insulating piece of wooden floor underlay works even better than styrofoam

toxicfish
01-12-2006, 8:08 PM
insulating piece of wooden floor underlay... cool I will have to check it out.

ShadowVengance
01-12-2006, 8:13 PM
Unless the tank is on a stand with an imperfection, or its two tables slid together, I wouldn't recomend it.

It'd wobble easier when you run by it, and i really don't see any point to it if it doesnt apply to the above.

I have hardwood floor on the top of my 55g's stand. and a piece of plywood between my 15g and the stand.

toxicfish
01-12-2006, 8:17 PM
I am talking about a 190g and a stand with 3/4" oak ply for the top

Oddball
01-12-2006, 9:11 PM
I use camping or work-out mats between my tanks and stands. They don't burst like styrofoam does when crushed. And, I can get them in medium blue or black to match the back panels of the acrylic tanks. A bonus is they're inexpensive and can be found as low as $7 each for a 72" x 24" pad.

Cyclop3000
01-12-2006, 9:27 PM
With small tanks, this stuff WILL make the tank wabble. I find that with large tanks, this is not necessary either. Think about it... say a camping mat, or even that floor thing. 190g is close to 2 tons when full, therefore the mat will just squish to a fraction of the thickness it was and get very dense...therefore any imperfections will just move the material upwards and you end up with an uneven surface anyways.

I built all my stands, and don't use any of those. The wood piece under the tank has to be perfect...lots of sanding and checking, but it works wonders. I'd say you are better off making sure the top is nice and smooth, than to try and pad it with something.

My 2 cents...

hardb0iled
01-12-2006, 9:28 PM
I would always put foam between a tank bottom and stand. It relieves any concentrated pressure points on the bottom pane of glass which would otherwise cause the glass to crack under the weight of the water. It also means if the top of the stand is not absolutely flat and level that the foam will take up the difference instead of the tank base warping and either splitting the seams of the tank or cracking the glass.

I cant believe anyone would not consider putting foam or similar under a tank!? :WHOA:

toxicfish
01-12-2006, 10:02 PM
The stand will be square (close to 90 deg as possible) and level when I'm done...
Now where is the best place to get the styrofoam sheets that big(72x24)? I am guessing home depot... lol

MFK ROCKS!!!

loach43
01-12-2006, 10:10 PM
I've always used cork but never had a tank as large as 190g.
Just thought I'd toss that in as an alternative idea.

hardb0iled
01-12-2006, 10:12 PM
The stand will be square (close to 90 deg as possible) and level when I'm done...
Now where is the best place to get the styrofoam sheets that big(72x24)? I am guessing home depot... lol

MFK ROCKS!!!

It may appear level, but what if its out by say 3-5mm at one end, or your tank maker made the tank on a surface with a 5mm variance from one corner to the other so the tank is not exactly square or the floor you sit the tank and stand on is not exactly level, or the wood the stand is made from warps due to humidity or temperature changes?

You put your tank on the stand under any of these circumstances, fill it with water and that 5mm variance has to go somewhere and the only point that will give will either be the silicon in the tank seams or the glass :( If your lucky the silicon will absorb the difference without placing too much strain on the joint -but if your not lucky or the differnce is greater than 5mm, then your in trouble.

...unless of course you have foam between the tank and stand ;)

I have seen tanks let go from this, believe me its worth it for the piece of mind!

Plumber
01-12-2006, 10:22 PM
I use cork on all my tanks. It makes up for any imperfections in the stand yet holds up very well. You can get rolls of it in various thicknesses at most craft and hobby stores for cheap. It may never happen (or it might) but it doesn't take much of an imperfection on your stand to create an unstable tank or make a pressure point that may or may not result in your tank leaking, cracking, or worse. Why not spend another few bucks for peace of mind? I say this because I know what it's like to come home and find 150 gal. of water all over the place and ALL FISH DEAD!

toxicfish
01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I agree with you 100% on that... I will deffently put foam between it:)

I know there will be a small variance from one end to another cause of the wood and warpage. I could always make a welded stand out of 1/4 3x3 steel angle Iron with leveling pads at work and it would always be square. I make these stands all the time and they are mostly within 100 thousand of an inch. But I want to do it with wood your way hardbOiled :thumbsup: cuz it looks better :D

toxicfish
01-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I use cork on all my tanks. It makes up for any imperfections in the stand yet holds up very well. You can get rolls of it in various thicknesses at most craft and hobby stores for cheap. It may never happen (or it might) but it doesn't take much of an imperfection on your stand to create an unstable tank or make a pressure point that may or may not result in your tank leaking, cracking, or worse. Why not spend another few bucks for peace of mind? I say this because I know what it's like to come home and find 150 gal. of water all over the place and ALL FISH DEAD!yeah that would suck :(

Plumber
01-12-2006, 10:42 PM
yeah that would suck :(
Ya it did. Gotta figure not only the tank and fish, but also the water damage. For me it was hardwood flooring, sheetrock, paint, etc. I think I ended up spending about a grand on repairs plus a new tank and fish. Couldn't get the smell of dead fish water out of my house for weeks. It sucked bad.

toxicfish
01-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Ya it did. Gotta figure not only the tank and fish, but also the water damage. For me it was hardwood flooring, sheetrock, paint, etc. I think I ended up spending about a grand on repairs plus a new tank and fish. Couldn't get the smell of dead fish water out of my house for weeks. It sucked bad. I dont want to do that, I just put down new hardwood flooring and moldings about 4 months ago

KNH
01-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Home Depot carries the foam board that I used. You can use either the blue or pink. Foam board is cheap insurance to help your tank last a long time.
KNH

toxicfish
01-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Home Depot carries the foam board that I used. You can use either the blue or pink. Foam board is cheap insurance to help your tank last a long time.
KNHthanks.... yeah foam board is kinda what I had in mind but wasn't sure.. Cuz I have no idea where to get sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" stryofoam that big

KNH
01-12-2006, 11:16 PM
thanks.... yeah foam board is kinda what I had in mind but wasn't sure.. Cuz I have no idea where to get sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" stryofoam that big
No problem. They have 8' x 4' sheets in varies thicknesses.

gomezladdams
01-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Never tried it but it sounds like a good idea

retiredrunner
01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Carpet padding works really well also. I put it under my stand and between my tank and the top of the stand. Good carpet padding is made to support some really heavy stuff. I agree that it def isnt going to hurt anything to use some kind of padding so why risk it? No stand is perfectly level so there is always a chance some kind of pressure point could build up over time and then you have a living room full of water.

jsodwi
01-13-2006, 5:34 AM
3/4 inch foam from Home Depot . I would definatley do this if the top of the stand is solid and not just a frame that the tank sit s on

Radius
01-13-2006, 1:58 PM
The foam board is a good idea, but I think I like cork more. It'll compress, but not as much as foam and I think would last longer in the end. Plus foam has a way of chipping over time and getting all over the place.

I'm currently designing and getting materials together for a stand I need on a new 240g tank, I never even considered foam under it until now.

Gooda
01-13-2006, 2:22 PM
You know, I never even heard about putting padding under the tank before...

I think that is a good idea. Better then losing a tank

Thanks

Radius
01-13-2006, 2:52 PM
Years ago my grandparents used to manage an appartment complex, and on the 5th floor of one of the buildings a guy made his own 200g tank. After he filled it, it blew apart and flooded the apartment and hallway.

I have no idea if the stand was the culprit, but it taught me to always over-engineer and to put every available safety feature into the design you can. You can never go wrong doing it that way.

Saku
01-13-2006, 3:14 PM
KNH

Just set up a 300 gal with the pink stuff underneath (they were out of blue). Worth the peace of mind IMO. :thumbsup:

Radius
01-13-2006, 5:00 PM
I just realized...

Is this just for stands with a piece of plywood on top? What about stands with an "open top", but that I mean ones that have the support ribs exposed and no plywood on top. Do you use the foam on those too?

guppy
01-13-2006, 6:30 PM
I do not trust open frame stands for large tanks (55g and up) I cap them with 5/8" or 3?4" plywood and top that with fine grain corkboard.

Radius
01-13-2006, 6:32 PM
Ok, good to know. I plan on using 3/4" oak for my entire stand, top to bottom so I'll make sure to add foam or cork.

Averi666
01-13-2006, 6:36 PM
never evan had thought about using foam or anything under my tanks

toxicfish
01-14-2006, 3:08 AM
Just set up a 300 gal with the pink stuff underneath (they were out of blue). Worth the peace of mind IMO. :thumbsup:Me too... I got the pink 3/4 it was like $12 for the 4x8..

I just finished the frame:headbang2

whodini
01-20-2006, 6:27 AM
i used 3/4 inche restruant kitchen rubber mats(can get them at rona or home depot) they have small round holes in them i fingured it was helpful for the wood to expand & contract to changing humdity & temp, and if condensation did develope it would dry quickly. I tend to over think things...............................mmmmm how would you build an earthquake talerant stand? :screwy:

TONY60
01-20-2006, 8:02 AM
i would always have something between the 2 asit stops cracks developing due to imperfections in the stand or even the tank.
i actualy use a insulating piece of wooden floor underlay works even better than styrofoam
Ain't that called plywood?

jcashion
01-20-2006, 2:31 PM
I never thought about using foam or anything under my tank. I built my stand, and my apt. floor sucks, and there's a slight bow in the middle. I'm going to sand it down, and put some cork or matting under it. Do you put it across the entire area of the top of the stand, even under the aquarium framing, or just under the glass?

toxicfish
01-20-2006, 2:36 PM
jcashion - put it under the entire tank and frame:) the top of my stand is smooth and flat but the tank itself was not. the foam took up the slack:thumbsup:

joeytoe
01-20-2006, 2:45 PM
Never tried it before, Might be a good idea.

qumqats
01-20-2006, 7:19 PM
How important is it to have styrofoam between the bottom of the tank and the top of the stand? And what is the meaning for it? I see it recomended alot on aquarium sites.

I'd think it would be quite important for a Plexy tank, less so for glass.

Plexy needs even support across the entire bottom surface. You would need a sheet of something as large as the bottom of the tank.
Glass only needs the support along the plastic rim on the bottom. You could use strips of something along the bottom rim.

In either case the foam evens out the irregularities of the stand and relieves stresses.

jcashion
01-21-2006, 11:56 PM
jcashion - put it under the entire tank and frame:) the top of my stand is smooth and flat but the tank itself was not. the foam took up the slack:thumbsup:
Thanks!!!