PDA

View Full Version : Tank/stand overhang

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 9:41 AM
Just would like some honest information on if its really bad or not???

My tank would be hanging over 2 inches on both sides if i use one stand i have and ive heard mixed info about whether its ok or not.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 9:51 AM
Most aquariums are supported only around the outside. You have to support the perimeter to maintain any structural integrity. Having it over hang the long way (length) isn't as bad as having it over hang the short way (width) of course.

Also, any part of the tank hanging over the edge of the stand will create a cantilever force on the stand itself. In your case, it's not much, but it's not "best case" for sure.

You can do some things to brace up your stand, look for a new one...or build your own :)

AQUAMONSTER
01-23-2011, 9:52 AM
my 30 gallon growout tank over hangs about 2 1/2 inches on each side and the tank has been set up for almost 2 years. should be ok depending on tank size

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 9:56 AM
I have a bigger dresser that im more than likely going to put it on instead which can hold the tank no problem.

But i wanted to possibly use the smaller stand which would be in a different spot in the room.

Im not worried about the stand collapsing because it can more than support it, i just dont want the tank to start leaking or possibly break.

I know the overhang will put more pressure on the seals but id just like to know if it really will be a big problem or not.

AQUAMONSTER
01-23-2011, 10:00 AM
as long as the width of the tank is supported you will be fine

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 10:01 AM
More than likely it will be ok as long as it is over-hanging "side to side" and not "front to back". As Aqua mentioned...how big is the tank?

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Its a 30gal tank and will only be hanging over the sides, front to back will be completely supported.

Its actually a little more than 2 inches, about 2 and a half now that i just remeasured it.

As long as it wont cause a problem then id much rather use this smaller stand.

How much would be too much overhang just out of curiosity??

AQUAMONSTER
01-23-2011, 10:10 AM
ive seen somone put a 20 gallon long on a 10 gallon stnad. That may be too much. what you could do is get a piece of plywood cut a little longer than the tank and put that on top of the stand

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Id personally rather not have to put any plywood down but if its gonna make a huge difference than i will.

But more than likely the 2 and a half inch overhang wont cause any issues is the consensus???

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 10:17 AM
ive seen somone put a 20 gallon long on a 10 gallon stnad. That may be too much. what you could do is get a piece of plywood cut a little longer than the tank and put that on top of the stand

Perfect.

Please be aware that the stand is going to be top heavy versus the foot print area. Again, your tank should be OK, especially if you add the plywood, but if it's a weak stand or a slight bump in the future may cause it to collapse.

You seem to have a good sense about the situation since you're asking the questions. Take a good look at it yourself. If you feel comfortable, trust your judgement. If you're not comfortable, then definitely trust your judgement! Having to take down an established tank or constantly worrying about it wont' be fun.

Good luck!

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks Darnell i appreciate your quick responses and the information.

How thick of plywood should i put under the tank and will that make a big difference in its support???

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
You're welcome :)

The "stock answer" is 3/4". You should be able to take the outside dimensions of your tank and call Home Depot. They will be able to cut it for you. If you feel creative, you can pick up some corner round trim and finish it off yourself...or possibly even some good grained contact paper if you don't have access to tools.

Be sure to post photos of your set up once you get it going!

Good luck!

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
By the way, here is a quick cell phone photo of my 55 gallon tank/stand overhang. This may give you some ideas...and hopefully some comfort that it will be OK once you get it set up. Just be sure the stand itself is stable and strong enough to support the load.

http://www.uscconlinealbum.com/photos/photo01/f9/3f/6cdf455aa4cd.jpg

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks very much for the photos and the confidence boost :)

Now i know u said the "stock" answer above but would a 1" or 2" piece of plywood be better all things considered???

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 11:20 AM
It would be better of course, but not necessary. 1" plywood is pricey :)

Sounds like you have it under control! Good luck :)

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Ok awesome.

Im gonna run and pick up a piece of 1.5" plywood, just to be safe.

Thanks very much for everyones input and i will post some pix tom once i have the tank up and running!!

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to see the photos :)

fishkeeper4244
01-23-2011, 11:32 AM
idk. asthetic appeal is a big part of tanks and honestly that would look ghetto depending on what stand you have. that might wear down on the edges too. sorry just being truthful. good luck, stands are expensive!

fishkeeper4244
01-23-2011, 11:34 AM
oh i didnt understand the question. yeah that looks fine, good work haha. :)

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I just went and picked up a piece of 3/4" plywood since thats the thickest Home Depot has.

They cut it to the specs i wanted and it came out perfect.

Now im just waiting to go pick the tank up and i should be good to go.

Keeper the stand i have is a solid wood stand piece of furniture and is very well built.

The tank should work out perfectly now that i added the piece of ply.

As soon as i go pick up the fish i want tom ill take some photos and post them up :)

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
As soon as i go pick up the fish i want tom ill take some photos and post them up :)

Nice job! I know it was a pain to get the piece of plywood, but long term, it will work out much better for you.

I take it your tank isn't set up yet? I noticed you're getting fish tomorrow. Are you aware of the tank cycling procedures?

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Naa i dont mind running to the store, i was in and out, nice and quick.

I appreciate you letting me know about the plywood, its def gonna work out much better with the ply.

Yep i know about tank cycling, im actually getting the tank from a friend who has had the tank for over a year, its already cycled obviously.

I picked up some API water conditioner so i shouldnt need anything else immediately right???

Im also going to be using the same bio-filters that are already on the tank, so all the good bacteria is already built up.

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 6:56 PM
Got my tank up and running and im SOOOO happy :headbang2

I took one pic as i only have a Pleco in the tank until tomorrow.

U can see him right under the plant on the left.

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af74/FalconGroup6/IMG00022-20110123-1846.jpg

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 7:03 PM
Nice job :) Yeah, that looks to be pretty stable. I can see why you asked the question though...I would have been nervous having that much overhang unsupported.

You could always get some brush on paint and carefully paint the plywood around the tank. It would look more complete that way. Even black to match your tank would look good.

All in all, nice job! The tank looks good :)

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 7:14 PM
Thanks bro i appreciate it.

Yea this was just to get everything up and running, im probably gonna stain the part of the plywood thats visible the same shade as the stand/table.

Im just really pumped that everything is up and running and i cant wait to get some more fish to add.

Im gonna pick up 2 Red Parrot's on Tues or Wens.

Id really like to add a FW Puffer but since their aggressive they will more than likely attack my Parrots correct???

Once i get them in the tank ill def take a few more pix :)

skillzizzo
01-23-2011, 9:29 PM

x2

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 9:41 PM
Id really like to add a FW Puffer but since their aggressive they will more than likely attack my Parrots correct???

I assume that all Puffers are aggressive, but to be honest, I really don't know. I have 3 dwarfs in my brackish tank, but I know nothing of FW Puffers. You might want to ask PufferPunk...the MFK resident Puffer expert.

You did a great job getting your tank set up! It's awesome knowing you went the few extra steps to insure you had a sturdy tank and now you're checking into compatability of your tank mates :)

Keep up the good work!

PufferFace11
01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks again Darnell.

Im def gonna get in contact with PufferPunk and see what info he can give me.

I really do wanna make sure everything is correct and my tankmates are all compatible.

Im gonna pick up a API Master Test Kit tomorrow in order to test my water and i plan on doing 20% water changes every other day for the next week/week and a half.

Is there anything else u would recommend me doing or purchasing???

CLDarnell
01-23-2011, 11:09 PM
I think you got it all under control. Pufferpunk..."she" will be able to help you out with the Puffers, but I am pretty sure the advice is going to recommend against mixing.

Nice job all the way around. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums!