PDA

View Full Version : BEST FLOWERHORN FOOD

BIG REDD
08-15-2005, 11:31 AM
WHAT IS THE BEST FLOWERHORN FOOD BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? :feedback:

wickedworm76
08-15-2005, 12:37 PM
It depends on what you want to accomplish. Fresh or frozen small shrimps to increase red coloration. Just make sure you remove the horn. For the kok use chicken or beef heart (chopped into tiny pieces). feed before a water change since this will definitely cloud your water.

BIG REDD
08-16-2005, 5:50 PM
IVE BEEN GOING WITH A NEW HIKARI BIO GOLD, WHICH HAS IMPROVED THEIR COLOR BUT HAS NOT STARTED ANY NUCHAL GROWTH. MAYBE ITS NOT IN THE CARDS FOR THEESE FISH. ITS ALL GOOD, GOT SOME NEW ONES COMING SOON!!!!!!!!!!!! THEESE ARE GONNA BE RIDICULOUS. :woot:

mill
08-16-2005, 9:22 PM
Red enhancement pellets call Bao Zheng Hong.

redtailfool
08-16-2005, 9:30 PM
I use freeze dried krill, market shrimps ,hikari and hai feng.

darkemotion
08-16-2005, 9:31 PM
I am using hai-feng pellets the one especially for red arowanas but its for cichlids too.

redtailfool
08-16-2005, 9:32 PM
Those are cool ... mix it up with other pellets, live foods and shrimp.
You will see a difference i guarantee you :D

BIG REDD
08-17-2005, 9:50 AM
ill keep u posted, maybe a before and after pic. thanx for the advice!!!!!!! :headbang2

wenjun
08-17-2005, 9:58 AM
superworm.?
it contains alot of protein,,.
good for the hump. :grinno:

wickedworm76
08-17-2005, 10:48 AM
superworm.?
it contains alot of protein,,.
good for the hump. :grinno:

right.... try to feed your superworm with red enhancing pellets first. You will notice that these worms will turn red too. then feed them to your fh. yum yum :D

wenjun
08-20-2005, 11:26 AM
the protein is high..
the hump will pop out more :grinyes:

redtailfool
08-20-2005, 1:33 PM
ill keep u posted, maybe a before and after pic. thanx for the advice!!!!!!! :headbang2

please do !

viciouspisces
08-21-2005, 3:36 AM
myself im much more into 'hump' deveopment then color .I use a variety of foods powermax (that i buy online from luohanatic (http://www.luohanatic.com/) ,koi pellets ,frozen shrimp and a beefheart recipe .I am a firm beliver tho ,that the hump potential is all in the genes.Ive had plenty that i give the same treatment to and stay basically 'humpless' .But then ...I have one w/ the same basic care and food and look what happend in about 8 months time (progress pics -its genes :grinyes: )

wenjun
08-21-2005, 8:24 AM
wow..the hump is big man..

hked24
08-22-2005, 12:05 PM
very nice kgmkamfa sis.. :thumbsup:

BIG REDD
08-23-2005, 6:43 PM
with pics like that i have to beleive you. that is a kamfa though, they are known for late nuchal growth, first the body, then the head develops. im pretty sure that is how it goes with that strain. that fish is the truth though!

Peanut_Power
08-23-2005, 7:07 PM
Can you guys link a site to where I can pick some of these pimpin color enhancing foods at? I wanna try them out on my red texas, and new flowerhorn. They aren't showin much color now...so maybe this is what i need!! :D Thankz!

isdang kanal
08-29-2005, 3:09 AM
for me chingmix sp50 is the best!!

BIG REDD
08-31-2005, 10:30 PM
WHERE DO U ORDER IT FROM ONLINE? ANY PARTICULAR SITE U KNOW OF???

craig
09-05-2005, 10:54 AM
WHERE DO U ORDER IT FROM ONLINE? ANY PARTICULAR SITE U KNOW OF???www.flowerfish.com :thumbsup:

BIG REDD
09-05-2005, 4:14 PM
thanks.

Dr. Octoclops
09-13-2005, 3:45 PM
I had pretty good results with Beefheart

CentralMayhem
09-13-2005, 4:48 PM
i have one of the prettiest FH's i ever seen with no hump. he has very intense red and bright blue spots all over his body. if he would grow a hump hed be a champ for sure. ill post some recent pics here soon. and if they dont show up theyll be in my gallery. i feed him new life spectrum pellets and freeze dried krill regularly. occasional crayfish and various worms once every week or so. i also see him grazing at the heir algae i have growing from some of the decorations in his tank.

wickedworm76
09-13-2005, 6:41 PM
:headbang2
for me chingmix sp50 is the best!!
:thumbsup: i agree!

Nate_N_Nicole
09-14-2005, 6:14 PM
New Life Spectrum is a really good food... They carry all different sizes of pellets and flakes.... Wouldn't hurt to feed some whole shrimp once and a while as a treat... :thumbsup:

ferds2bite
08-18-2008, 12:12 AM
for me it is XO Humpy Head! i know that my fish like this food because he can finish it in no time

pcfriedrich
08-18-2008, 9:00 AM
right.... try to feed your superworm with red enhancing pellets first. You will notice that these worms will turn red too. then feed them to your fh. yum yum :D

does that work? I thought about doing this for my Oscar. buying some earthworms and letting them crawl around in some soggy, crushed up color enhancing pellets (instead of just dirt) for a week or so before feeding.

beantickler
08-18-2008, 11:01 AM
could you have pulled an older thread? 2005 this was from... lol:nilly:

pcfriedrich
08-18-2008, 11:51 PM
could you have pulled an older thread? 2005 this was from... lol:nilly:

Wasn't me!

n1ck,rowell
08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
it would have to be ching mix it helps with colore and kok grouth

xiahaolong168
09-02-2008, 9:41 PM
I've heard grand sumo is great for flowerhorns.

nain
09-02-2008, 9:56 PM
since this thread has already been pulled out :D i would say ching mix sp 80, hikari, ocean free and mutton heart mix.....

RookieOfTheYear
09-02-2008, 11:47 PM
im using chingmix, seems to be pretty good..

nycom2011
09-03-2008, 12:20 AM
My kind of thread..heheh

Hikari, Hai feng, Omega one, Sanyu , Meal worms, ocean free

Turned from pale to colorful in my eyes...Kept a growing data sheet and found that within 3-4 weeks you will see alot of improvement..no matter how good the pellet nutritional value and breakdown a pellet of food source shows it seems like the lag time for resullts to be subtly visible is after 2 days...

Ph influences hump size and color. this might seem off topic the Ph has shown to influence appetite urges too. To increase this you can give it a mirror for a short while but dont leave for too long it might stressout your fish..do it in moderation and you can increase the amount your fish needs to eat. Do water changes frequently and check water parameters daily if you intend to feed like crazy and work out your fish with the mirror. It will speed things up a bit. (atleast from what i have experienced.)

Check to see how your fish reacts to it the surrounding colors i have foudn that when i used crush coral (white) the fish was a bit more pale and when i changed to red gravel it turned intense red on same ph. Background should take that into consideration too.

Read that there are some general trends but I am not definite since i have found the opposite to be true for my fish compared to what is said in my research for water parameters. However the trend is that high ph leads to kok developement and low ph improves color of fish. You should try and see what works for yours.

Oh lastly, lighting makes a difference like the sticky says..i am a believer of genes too but not completely..try to get foods with krill, salmon, shrimp, they will make those pearls that are present shine even if it has average genes ..i swear to it. While genes are very important I would not say that environment plays no significant contribution to the fish appearance.

GL all with your fish and it is nice to see that this hobby has resulted in so many beautiful fish from when i first started where they all looked like trimacs with no color but pearling and greens...... Probably gonna go pick up a pearly zz female with no red to mate with this guy. Cant wait heheh.

Andrewtfw
09-06-2008, 1:54 PM
I mostly feed NLS with the occasional treat of Chingmix or superworms. I have tried beefheart and krill. He ignores the beefheart and spits all shrimp out.

Snake_Eyes
09-08-2008, 6:38 PM
IDK about best but OSI is like catnip to mine, she loves it.

Bosa
09-08-2008, 7:46 PM
So far I just started feeding mine GrandSumo Red, there were some noticable color change the next day, then again his color changes quickly with his mood or stress level.

oraclito
09-22-2009, 3:20 PM
So, Which is better Grand Sumo, chingmix or hikari?

I don't have a Flower Horn, but I have a male King Midas fish.

I want him to develop a big kok.

noobshoehead19
10-08-2009, 12:26 AM
all of them are good.

i use hikari bio gold for growth and color, red sumo for red coloration and hump. and soon to use a chingmix sp100 headbooster for hump. and frozen blood worms, beefheart, brine shrimp.

use hikari excel too, and alife. its good. im using all these food at the same time :D

D7620
10-08-2009, 12:35 AM
i've been using Chingmix, Sumo Red, Alife, and XO humpy

narexx
11-04-2009, 10:04 AM
superworms? used them but prefer the molting ones,softer shells easier to digest,good protien source.

dookie
11-10-2009, 12:53 AM
I tried them all and this stuff is the best I've found so far for my flowerhorns.:headbang2
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/dinan3/Livestock/mp/fh.JPG
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/dinan3/Livestock/mp/food.JPG

jbonez
02-08-2011, 2:52 PM
im feeding mine hikari gold , new life spectrum cichlid pellets & frozen blood worms i just got this flowerhorn can anyone tell me if it will be a nice pretty one and if its a male or female also what is a good water temp? i got 2 of them for $9 there about 3in im currently keeping them in a 55gl..

Musha
02-09-2011, 3:24 AM
There's no such thing as the best, its all about variety. I used mulitply foods for specific things. Here is a list of what I use, minus my super secret food. LOL

#1 HiKari BioGold- Nutrition
#2 Ching Mix Head/Max - Personal Favorite for head boosting and pearl intensity
#3 NLS - Back up Nutrition
#4 Hai Feng - Dual color enhancer
#5 and #6... secret lol

jbonez
02-09-2011, 9:46 AM
so do you think the food i feed them is good enough? also what kind of f.h are they & the sex?

RD.
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
There's no such thing as the best, its all about variety. I used mulitply foods for specific things. Here is a list of what I use, minus my super secret food. LOL

#5 and #6... secret lol

Wow, I am constantly blown away at the things that I read on this forum. Now we even have "secret" foods. lol

Some of you should visit a few commercial fish farms, where true professionals raise fish for a living, and then report back how many different pellet foods they feed their fish to get solid growth, color, pearling, long flowing fins, and large nuchal humps on their fish.

You'll probably be shocked to find that they all feed a generic commercial chow, or catfish crumble, exclusively. Not saying that those foods provide optimum long term nutrition to a fish, just that physical traits in fish are mostly determined by genetics. Certainly these traits can be improved via a high quality diet, but that doesn't equate to having to feed 1/2 dozen pellet foods to get the max potential out of a fish.

Oscarum monstruoso
02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Variety is best imho. I feed cichlid gold, massivore and krill.

RD.
02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I agree, but getting a wide variety of high quality raw ingredients & nutrients to your fish doesn't have to equate to feeding a multitude of foods. ;)

BIG_ONE
02-09-2011, 12:40 PM

#5 and #6... secret lol

#5 Head Roids - Massive Head Enhancement
#6 Color Roids - Color Spectrum Chart Enhancement

Hahaha, jk...:D

oraclito
03-16-2011, 8:23 AM
all of them are good.

i use hikari bio gold for growth and color, red sumo for red coloration and hump. and soon to use a chingmix sp100 headbooster for hump. and frozen blood worms, beefheart, brine shrimp.

use hikari excel too, and alife. its good. im using all these food at the same time :D

I'm using hikari bio gold, hikari excel, hikari gold and tetra stick, his hump had a better size.:naughty: