Blacktip/White tip sharks illegal in california without permit

steve1815

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2010
in my shark tank
Ok as of january 1st 2010 blacktips white tips and grey reef sharks are illegal to import into california without permits. I dont know if any one has tried to get permits from the DGF but it seams almost impossible. I am interested in bringing in all 3 species and i have a exporter ready to ship them out but i cant bring them intocalifornia with out the permit and i keep getting the run around trying to get the permit. Any help would be appreciated and if you know a way around the permit or another way to come in i would be great. PLEASE HELP

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Have a link to them becoming illegal? I haven't heard that, more info would be great.
Do you mean white tip reefs or oceananic white tips?
And what are you keeping grey reef sharks in?

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
Zoodiver;4360070; said:
Have a link to them becoming illegal? I haven't heard that, more info would be great.
Do you mean white tip reefs or oceananic white tips?
And what are you keeping grey reef sharks in?
He is talking about all reef sharks. And the grey reef would be for me if he can get it in. Its some thing that he knew I was looking for awhile back to replace my bull shark that never materialized this spring. From what I understand he has been getting the run a round with trying to import these sharks.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Do you mean - Whitetip reef & Blacktip Reef - or Whitetip and Blacktip Sharks -because we're talking about different sharks here.

If it would Blacktip Sharks & Oceanic Whitetips - then I would say good move - these don't need to be the hands of private aquarists any way. If on the other hand -it's Blacktip Reefs & Whitetip Reefs - then that maybe a bit too restrictive- IMO.

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
krj-1168;4360151; said:
Do you mean - Whitetip reef & Blacktip Reef - or Whitetip and Blacktip Sharks -because we're talking about different sharks here.

If it would Blacktip Sharks & Oceanic Whitetips - then I would say good move - these don't need to be the hands of private aquarists any way. If on the other hand -it's Blacktip Reefs & Whitetip Reefs - then that maybe a bit too restrictive- IMO.
white tip and black tip reef sharks he is talking about.

steve1815

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2010
in my shark tank
ya both the white tip reef sharks and the black tip reef shark. Also yes the grey reef shark is for josh and my guy has them onhand but i am not able to import them now since this new law past. Its just california trying to make some extra money. Why else would they be totaly legal in all other states? If anyone can give me some help that would make a lot of people very happy.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
That's just odd. Those specific sharks make no sense to me, and usually I'm all for laws protecting sharks.
If the state banned them, you'll have to apply for the permit through them. Maybe stress that you are only a stopping point, and they aren't going to be in the state long term.

Jabba954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Bay Area
Do you have a link to the law? Know it's reference number? I can't find anything on DFG.

Jabba954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Bay Area
I searched a listing of all laws that went into effect in 2010 - there isn't a word in there about any reef sharks (only mention of sharks at all is something in reference to great whites).

My guess is your guy is just jerking you around, or lacks a valid import license, required to import any live fish into the US.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store