ray filtration

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
its a sailfin pleco that is 10 some inches and i have been trying to rehome it but noone wants a poop machine. without heeding your post in the thread "irene prep" i fed my fish. and the comets are upwards of six inches.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Sailfin and rays are a very bad combo. Sailfins get territorial and will suck on the ray stressing and removing the slime coat from them. Comets produce alot of ammonia. Personally I recommend getting rid of those fish first. As far as a temp. tank, I don't see why it wouldn't work even with the HOB filter. You might add some safestart to help jump start the bio filter. Watch your water parameters closely and keep up on 50% water changes regularly. I definitely recommend getting the 250g up and running ASAP as rays grow fast, and the 250 will need time to cycle. Just my 2 cents.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
thanks scott i'm leak testing the 250 in the garage as i type lol. i plan on giving the other fish to my lfs asap. i wanna definitely get rid of the pleco first. o and i added ammo lock and did a 50% water change and the ammonia is back down to 0-.5 ppm.

jstavis

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Madison, WI
Sorry if my previous posts came off as flaming. In answer to your question, I guess I'd agree with the others and get an FX5. My only concern is that the power of a filter like that will create some crazy currents in a 55g. This probably applies to most filters that are large enough to keep a 55 clean enough to keep a ray, which is why I really don't recommend that you keep a ray in a 55g tank. But that point has been made, and I'm glad you have a big tank on the ready.

However, I would reiterate that you really, really shouldn't be taking a ray so soon after an apparent crash. Any ammonia is bad. And ammo-lock is NOT a solution. If your filter is still recycling the worst thing you could do is throw in a bunch of extra bio-load. And any big filter you get will take some time to really get established. Is there any way that you can delay receipt of the ray?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
i have a friend i can set it up with for now. my ammonia has leveled out relatively well after adding ammo-lock and a 50% wc. i plan on getting rid of all the other fish before the ray arrives.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
no nitrate and nitrite are pretty good. and my ph is 6.4-6.6

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
no because of the hurricane he didn't get to send it out. so i am supposed to be getting it on wed now

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Well that gives more time for you to get rid of the other guys and get the tank under control.
if I was you, Id get a Fx5. Get the 250 up and running as soon as you can.
I would also check your readings on your 55 for at least the next 4 days. make sure your reading stay the same. Just because you did a water change and added the ammonia block, doesnt mean you wont have another ammonia spike.

One word of caution, adding a filter to your 55 may make it go thru another cycle. May not, but keep testing to find out after you add the filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store