iPhone pffft! THIS is the phone to have!!

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
I got 2 Iphone 4s yesterday and I'm pretty happy thus far. I upgraded from a 3, so that's nice. I didn't mind continuing my unlimited contract since I am grandfathered in and I've been paying for my wife and I for quite a few years. I only wish my angry birds saved game would have transferred over.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
I'm SOLD! This phone is so awesome. Pretty much blows everything out of the water.

Commercial
[YT]-F_ke3rxopc[/YT]

Full release. Check out how nice the camera is, starting at 41:20
[YT]Ts5WBm0tXzI[/YT]

soulpatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2010
Downingtown, PA
I actually think I like the Razr a bit better due to form factor. The locked bootloader is a concern obviously but I have been romming less and less (obviously since I have the Bionic). ICS as a whole though was a great presentation and should show Apple that you need to continue to innovate.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
I actually think I like the Razr a bit better due to form factor. The locked bootloader is a concern obviously but I have been romming less and less (obviously since I have the Bionic). ICS as a whole though was a great presentation and should show Apple that you need to continue to innovate.
Looks and build quality, I love the Razr. Hate the locked bootloader though, and the lack of a removable battery. That makes me nervous for when you need to do a hard reset if it locks up. Some folks have said you'll be able to do a reset by holding down certain buttons though, so who knows. Spec-wise, they're on par.

My main reason for choosing the Nexus are that it comes with ICS, unlocked bootloader and camera. Motorola makes some of worst cameras to ever be put in a cell phone. I've tried them all, from the Droid 1 to the Bionic. They all disappoint. I love the zero-shutter lag on the Nexus. A fast shutter speed is crucial on a cell phone camera for everyday use.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
On a random note, Sumo, you have the Droid 1 right? I found a thread where somebody was talking about this phone barely hanging in there and constantly giving you problems. It was then recommended to use a Motorola program (RSDLite) to flash the phone back to stock using a stock SBF file. This is different than doing a 'factory reset' within the phone, as that doesn't completely wipe the phone. Anywho, I did this to my phone over the weekend, then re-rooted and installed a new ROM. Holy crap this thing is running like the day I bought in 2009. I almost forgot how nice this phone can be. It's like a brand new device.

Anyway, you should think about it. Very easy to do. You'll lose all your data though, and will be starting fresh. Your contacts will sync back up when you log in, and all your apps should automatically download, but I always take note of the apps I have installed before I do a wipe, just in case some don't install again.

All you need is the RSDLite program installed on your computer and a stock SBF file. I can give you the links if you're interested.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
On a random note, Sumo, you have the Droid 1 right? I found a thread where somebody was talking about this phone barely hanging in there and constantly giving you problems. It was then recommended to use a Motorola program (RSDLite) to flash the phone back to stock using a stock SBF file. This is different than doing a 'factory reset' within the phone, as that doesn't completely wipe the phone. Anywho, I did this to my phone over the weekend, then re-rooted and installed a new ROM. Holy crap this thing is running like the day I bought in 2009. I almost forgot how nice this phone can be. It's like a brand new device.

Anyway, you should think about it. Very easy to do. You'll lose all your data though, and will be starting fresh. Your contacts will sync back up when you log in, and all your apps should automatically download, but I always take note of the apps I have installed before I do a wipe, just in case some don't install again.

All you need is the RSDLite program installed on your computer and a stock SBF file. I can give you the links if you're interested.
i'm not having any problems with my phone but i'll definitely check it out. is there a step by step walk thru?

pm it to me, thanks dude

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
You need 3 items:

1. RSDLite
2. RSDLite drivers for your computer, either 32 or 64 bit
3. The stock SBF File

Here's where you get them:

1. RSDLite (7-zip file, need Winrar or similar to open, Winrar is free to download)
2. 32 bit drivers or 64 bit drivers
3. The correct SBF file: http://download.peteralfonso.com/sholes (Under the SBF section, you need the FRG22D .sbf file)

STEPS:

1. Install RSDLite by double clicking the RSD Lite.msi file you just downloaded.
  2. Once RSDLite is installed, unzip the drivers folder you downloaded (32 bit OR 64 bit), then double click the Motorola Consumer Driver Installer application and install the drivers.
  3. Attach your phone to your computer.

4. Power down your phone normally.
  5. Once the phone is off, slide open the keyboard and press on the "up" direction of the directional keypad rocker (the direction toward the screen -- which could really be to the right depending on how you're holding the phone). While holding the dpad in the up direction, simultaneously press and hold the power button of the phone. When you see the backlight of the screen come on you can release the power button and the bootloader screen should appear (it will say "Bootloader" in the upper left corner). You can release the dpad. At the bottom of the text on the screen it should say "Transfer Mode: USB" if your cable is properly connected.
  6. Start RSD Lite on your computer. If you're on a version of Windows newer than XP, remember to run RSD Lite as administrator by right clicking its menu choice and choosing "Run as Administrator". If you don't have such an option, you may be able to right click on the shortcut, choose "properties", and check "Run this program as Administrator".
  7. Hopefully the phone will be listed in the grid in the bottom half of the RSD Lite window. Give it a minute or two if it doesn't show up right away. Sometimes it takes Windows a minute (or 2 or 3) to let go of the phone and pick it back up again after rebooting into the bootloader. If after a couple minutes your phone still isn't listed in the "Model" column of the bottom section, in RSD Lite, click Config, Device Id Options, and choose "First-Come-First-ServeDeviceId Mode" and press "OK". RSD Lite may say you need to restart RSD -- if so, do so.
  8. Assuming that you now can see your phone listed, click the "..." button to the right of the "Filename:" box. Find the SBF file you downloaded earlier and choose it. After choosing the file the right hand File details pane will fill in.
  9. Once it is selected, hit Start and wait for it to finish flashing the phone.
  10. Once it is done, the phone should reboot and you are now on Android 2.2 stock and are all set.

plecostic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
USA
Everyone else tries to copy the Iphone and do a miserable job at that. They may look cool on the outside but all they are is cheap knockoffs. If I were to buy a smartphone the Iphone would be it, it sets the standard.

soulpatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2010
Downingtown, PA
Everyone else tries to copy the Iphone and do a miserable job at that. They may look cool on the outside but all they are is cheap knockoffs. If I were to buy a smartphone the Iphone would be it, it sets the standard.
While I would completly agree with this on the original Droid (though you should really look into the iPhone LG Prada lawsuit since Apple copied a lot from LG....) that is no longer the case. Apple has fallen behind the times and their phones are outdated upon release now. They are not innovating with the experience like they used to. In their defense there is no much need as the phone sells like hot cakes BUT that is a situation that will end sooner or later without something more dramatic out of them.

The 4s launch was dubbed a failure for the company by many pundits as the phone failed to deliver on MANY aspects that people wanted or would consider standard for flagship devices now. (uh 4G prime example)

They all copy in some ways though. Apple has copied the notification system from Droid much like FB copied the circles from Google +. They will sue one another then get royalties. Well save for Apple and Samsung which are waging quite a war.

Get an iPhone if you wish. The user experience is great. The technology is old and stale at this point but it is a worry free device for the most part so long as you are ok with either jailbreaking it or being fine with a limited ecosystem in which to operate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store