Induced dwarfism in freshwater stingrays ??

tiercelr

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2012
Mexico City
Hi, its possible to induce dwarfism in freshwater stingrays if they are keeped in small aquariums as may be one of 100 liters if the freshwater stingrays are started living there since they have a teacup size ??

The purpose is to maintaining them with a size of less than 12 up to 15 inches diameter or less even if they may reach from 3 to 5 years old living inside of such a 100 liters tank. The purpose is forcing them to stay indefinitelyment in a dwarf size even if they have reached their adult stage.

Anyone have tried successfulyment this with the freshwater stingrays ?? Thanks in advance for your replies. Regards.

jstavis

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Madison, WI
I'm not an expert, but I would say that this is a bad, bad idea. Your stingray will stay small, but only because it will die young.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
No exp with fw rays but I know a fact dwarfism is a gene not something artificial you can make or be done to create it. Your fish will either die from over loads of no2, no3 and ammonia probably all 3. If not then it will die from its organs growing to large for its body and might have organ failure

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hondacrx2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2010
Pa
Hi, its possible to induce dwarfism in freshwater stingrays if they are keeped in small aquariums as may be one of 100 liters if the freshwater stingrays are started living there since they have a teacup size ??

The purpose is to maintaining them with a size of less than 12 up to 15 inches diameter or less even if they may reach from 3 to 5 years old living inside of such a 100 liters tank. The purpose is forcing them to stay indefinitelyment in a dwarf size even if they have reached their adult stage.

Anyone have tried successfulyment this with the freshwater stingrays ?? Thanks in advance for your replies. Regards.
You can keep a fish in any size container. You can keep a 16" rtc in a 20g long if you want...... If will die a slow miserable death. And you could be chargered with cruelty to animals in some states and countries. Thats if you could manage to keep it alive with all those nitrates, ammonia, nitrites. And only feed it just enough to cling to life. Same with rays or any fish. If this is what you want don't brag about your fish/ ray and NEVER associate your "hobby" with this site.

This ^^^^ is alittle extreme and over the top so no offense should be taken. But it's the truth.

Just get a hystix and a reasonable size tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tiercelr

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2012
Mexico City
Hi, thanks for the informative replies, yes the right word is stunting instead of dwarfism, sorry my native idiom is not the english.

This was only an idea about this possibility but maybe could work better a flat tank of 200 liters for to dimishing stress.

The idea was bringed from to see the most of aquarium fishes that stays in a stunt state indefinitelyment while are living in relatively small aquariums as a matter of adaptation to their living medium.

Actually i am reading the book by Ross about the freshwater stingrays published by barrons, and soon another pair of books about freshwater stingrays for to have more info about them.

Was curious to see replies of members prejudjing this post as if were suffering of nightmares by online-trolls, leave away that paranoids or your livers will decay early lol !

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Wow, 100 liters that's smaller then a 29 gallon tank. :screwy:

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Healthy stunting may be possible. ...but, not at the current time. If there was a practical method of stunting rays or applying selective breeding to achieve congenitally-dwarfed young, don't you think they'd be on the market as we speak? Rays demand a high price. Providing dwarf rays would shake the ray-keeping world by allowing scores more keepers the ability of keeping rays where tank size is restricted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store