Piranha caught in South FLA .. This wont help the cause...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole

nightzshadow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2012
nyc
These reodents live deep in the everglades. I'm not sure if there is a large number of feral cats that deep. Rebel may I ask you a question, do you own pythons?

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
So you have a problem with a young python ate two endangered rodents, yet you do not have any problem with feral cats or native snakes eating same endangered rodents? I believe that the woodland mouse is in trouble from habitat loss, not invasive pythons. It is unlikely that a cold-blooded reptile will wipe out whole endangered rodent populations. Now I ask you for last time, do some serious research on the invasives and their behavior.

Now I ask you a question: which one that eat most rodents? A cat or a python?
Hello; I made no such statement. It make me wonder if you need to re-read my posts with more care. The problems of the rodent in question do include other impacts than the pythons. To be clear, I do have a problem with feral house cats in particular. Not so much a problem with native snakes as they are part of the natural ecosystem even thou they may take some of the rodents. The likely biggest issue is habitat destruction. The point I was trying to make in that previous post, and will attempt again, is that the non-native/ invasive pythons are an additional impact on top of the problems the rodents already have.
Also the theme of these recent posts has been a response to your challenge that someone cite any evidence that there has been a negative impact caused by one of three invasive species. That challenge has been met. You apparently have even acknowledged that the pythons ate two of the wood mice in your post which I have included as a quote here.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
These reodents live deep in the everglades. I'm not sure if there is a large number of feral cats that deep. Rebel may I ask you a question, do you own pythons?

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
No I do not own a python but I am familiar with the pythons as I've took herpetology and also know some reptile experts that works with them. It's unlikely that non-native pythons would have an effect on woodland mouse populations. On other hand, non-native rats are displacing these rare woodrats as the rare rat's habitat were being destoryed by the humans. By the way, this rare rodent DO NOT live deep in Everglades. In fact they do not live in Everglades.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Hello; I made no such statement. It make me wonder if you need to re-read my posts with more care. The problems of the rodent in question do include other impacts than the pythons. To be clear, I do have a problem with feral house cats in particular. Not so much a problem with native snakes as they are part of the natural ecosystem even thou they may take some of the rodents. The likely biggest issue is habitat destruction. The point I was trying to make in that previous post, and will attempt again, is that the non-native/ invasive pythons are an additional impact on top of the problems the rodents already have.
Also the theme of these recent posts has been a response to your challenge that someone cite any evidence that there has been a negative impact caused by one of three invasive species. That challenge has been met. You apparently have even acknowledged that the pythons ate two of the wood mice in your post which I have included as a quote here.
So far you still outcry about a python that ate two woodrats....so far no evidence that the pythons have negative impacts on rare woodrat populations. Same thing with two cases of pythons ate whitetail deer (one adult doe and one fawn), but that doesn't mean the pythons will feeding on these deer heavily. That said, the main prey of non-native pythons were raccoons, cats, oppossums and rabbits.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
So far you still outcry about a python that ate two woodrats....so far no evidence that the pythons have negative impacts on rare woodrat populations. Same thing with two cases of pythons ate whitetail deer (one adult doe and one fawn), but that doesn't mean the pythons will feeding on these deer heavily. That said, the main prey of non-native pythons were raccoons, cats, oppossums and rabbits.
Hello; Perhaps you will clarify what, in your opinion, has to occur in order to qualify as a negative impact.

Kent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2006
urbandale Iowa
So far there are zero evidence that pythons have negative impacts on the ecosystems. You should visiting in Exotic Animals thread more often. It's just a media trying to scare you by give you misinformed facts. There was never any negative impacts at all.
I'm sorry but this has got to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read. All non-native species are a problem whether your talking cats or snakes, any time you introduce a prolific predator that also is a breeding machine it's a recipe for disaster.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I'm sorry but this has got to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read. All non-native species are a problem whether your talking cats or snakes, any time you introduce a prolific predator that also is a breeding machine it's a recipe for disaster.
Not all non-native species are problem in ecosystems. Snakeheads and pythons are supposed to be a huge problem and causes negative impacts on ecosystem but it has never happened.

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
The officials make all the bs about invasives. Yet we destroy our natural habitat pollute our lakes and streams air and what not. Don't worry invasives we will destroy everything way before you.
+100000000000
Not all non-native species are problem in ecosystems. Snakeheads and pythons are supposed to be a huge problem and causes negative impacts on ecosystem but it has never happened.
+1
So you have a problem with a young python ate two endangered rodents, yet you do not have any problem with feral cats or native snakes eating same endangered rodents? I believe that the woodland mouse is in trouble from habitat loss, not invasive pythons. It is unlikely that a cold-blooded reptile will wipe out whole endangered rodent populations. Now I ask you for last time, do some serious research on the invasives and their behavior.

Now I ask you a question: which one that eat most rodents? A cat or a python?
+1
And there are likely more cats in Florida than pythons. Funny thing is that pythons feeding on cats often than woodland mouse.
+1

Good points. Don't bother arguing with people like him-they know nothing of biology/ecology and instead of reason use emotion. Cats especially being endothermic do 100x the damage that pythons have done. Yet people don't care about cats because they are "cute and fuzzy" but instead demonize the pythons since they have scales.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store