Brown Algae Every Where need Help?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
wow no one have ask is it getting sunlight from a window ????????????????
It doesnt matter.... He is using tap water. Tap water is absolutely terrible for salt tanks..

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
An algae scrubber would help but you need space for it and you need to take care of it the correct way for it to do its job. You also need to pay attention to what kind/color algae you grow because you may need to adjust lighting and flow. A gfo reactor would be an option too

jamncook

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
Danbury, Ct
Add more powerheads. Water changes once a month. About 30%. I've been using tap water and adding tap water conditioner for over a year. No problems and I have tons of coral.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Sounds to me like a diatom issue - definitely water source issue. Test for silicates if present even r/o isn't gonna help without a silica buster.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Sounds to me like a diatom issue - definitely water source issue. Test for silicates if present even r/o isn't gonna help without a silica buster.
Well if it is a silicate issue it will eventually go away on its own. There is no way to tell how long it will take though. The diatoms need to eat all of the silicate up, and then they will die off

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
listen to cichlid and otherone... my first thought was diatoms as well.
case and point, switch up the water source... you need ro/di or distilled...
there's a fix for everything, just remember slacking and saltwater don't go in the same sentence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store