Are there any actual red "red devils"?

auratum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Michigan
Here a couple shots of my 1 footer Red, as promised
Very nice - what a beast and great color!

I wonder what color improvements could be made if one were to do a selective breeding program with these fish breeding for red color? You would probably need ponds to do this to have enough space and raise them large enough to properly select individuals for subsequent generations. Select some good colored parents and try to pair them, then raise 1000's of fry and select for the best colored individuals, then pair them up and repeat for a few generations. I would think that the overall color could be improved and you could get a higher percentage of young that would have the deep coloring. It would be best to start with unrelated reddish parents. The problem is that is seems there are very few that have the reddish coloring to begin with. There are some out there as shown here, but they are the exceptional individual rather than the typical specimen. Just not sure anyone has really been breeding for color as a primary focus with these fish.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I believe , as David, that sun ( of course given the correect genes in there ) is the major factor.

Midas caught in Miami channela, for instance, are stunning compare to those washed out oranges that we keep in our tanks. And yes, mostly we look for bulk and hump capacity, imho.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
I caught it in Hawaii. Of all the ones I caught, he was the most red. I kept him for a year and a half, here he is later down the road.

And a few others I caught.

It boils down to diet, sunlight, and genetics.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
True but they are very deep orange which is better than any I've seen personally. Maybe someone out there will see this and try running UV lights to see if it makes a difference.

Lets try those videos again since I cant edit my post
[video=youtube_share;UUNENPyL8MI]http://youtu.be/UUNENPyL8MI[/video]
the way this guy holding the fish with that clamp is really wrong. That's really like trying to break off its chin. It's common sense. I hope ppl would stop doing that;hurting the fish, and hold the clamp vertically in stead.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I caught it in Hawaii. Of all the ones I caught, he was the most red. I kept him for a year and a half, here he is later down the road.

And a few others I caught.

It boils down to diet, sunlight, and genetics.

Awesome catches!!!

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I wonder what color improvements could be made if one were to do a selective breeding program with these fish breeding for red color? You would probably need ponds to do this to have enough space and raise them large enough to properly select individuals for subsequent generations.
No need to wonder because from day one devil entered the aquarium hobby, breeders have been line breeding and cross breeding the reddest fish. In their natural habitat, black strain is the norm and red strain is rarity. In the aquarium strain, the opposite is true and black strain is hard to get unless you special order them from importers. The Asian have been selective breeding the reddest devils in commercial scale to come up with different strains of parrots, and those are the reddest devils you can find. So what you see is what you get, and it's unlikely you can improve over what is already available the trade.

I personally have never seen a true red "red devil" in real except in pictures so I remain skeptical they exist. The reddest devil I've seen in real are parrots but they are orange to pinkish red, not true (maroon) red. It's interesting that red strain devil thrown into Florida and Hawain lakes did not revert back to the black wild strain the way red oscar do. My theory is that red devil has to go through the peeling metamorphosis so juveniles are dark and camouflaged and only turn red when they are big enough to defend themselves.

auratum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Michigan
No need to wonder because from day one devil entered the aquarium hobby, breeders have been line breeding and cross breeding the reddest fish. In their natural habitat, black strain is the norm and red strain is rarity. In the aquarium strain, the opposite is true and black strain is hard to get unless you special order them from importers. The Asian have been selective breeding the reddest devils in commercial scale to come up with different strains of parrots, and those are the reddest devils you can find. So what you see is what you get, and it's unlikely you can improve over what is already available the trade.

I personally have never seen a true red "red devil" in real except in pictures so I remain skeptical they exist. The reddest devil I've seen in real are parrots but they are orange to pinkish red, not true (maroon) red. It's interesting that red strain devil thrown into Florida and Hawain lakes did not revert back to the black wild strain the way red oscar do. My theory is that red devil has to go through the peeling metamorphosis so juveniles are dark and camouflaged and only turn red when they are big enough to defend themselves.
Was wondering how long it would be before someone jumped on the Parrots. You seem to speak authoritatively on the fact that a parrot is just a line bred red devil. I don't believe this theory (among several otheres) is in the lead for the origins of the parrots if you examine all the evidence. I can't disagree that there appears to be red devil blood in the make-up of parrots, but I don't think you will find too many people agreeing that they are just mutant line bred devils. The fact that the males are near 100% sterile points to hybrid origins. It is certainly possible to get fish as red as we would all like going the hybrid route - no question - been proven - not easy or simple, but proven.

I think this thread was attempting to discuss red devils and their maximum color potential when it comes to red. We have seen some fine examples in this thread of some fish with amazing color. No one has questioned which "red devil" these are or if they are hybrids between labiatus & citrinellus. The issue with getting the dark color form of these fish is the same with finding a reliable source for pure species of either. They can be found, but not likely at our LFS's.

I was doing some searching on the web to understand the "fading" we see in these fish and was interested in the generic inheritance. One article (didn't save the reference) talked about how in the wild these fish are normally found in the "natural" color form, but because even the ones that change color don't change until they are larger, there is a higher percentage of these than you might expect. The article talked about how the brighter colored ones tended to breed at greater depths and suggested this as an adaptation where the lighter color fish are able to breed at greater depths where the low light levels would make it more difficult for the "natural" colored fish to spawn. Lastly the article suggested that for the fish that "fade" to the brighter colors, the full range of colors are noted from white, to yellow, to orange, to red with highest percentage being in the middle of the color range (yellow/orange) and red being the most seldom observed. I can't remember if this article was focussed on labiatus or citrinellus, but the point is there are some exceptional individuals from this group of fish.

It does not seem like there is anyone offering young from a breeding program focussed on breeding for red color in these fish. Most of the "purists" just want pure fish lines, tend to be less interested in the particular color of the fish (would appear they are somewhat less concerned about vanity), and are happiest with wild caught fish regardless of their appearance. Then you have the hybridists that go for the appearance above all else and don't care to get bogged down too much in the discussions of the merits of one collection point of species or another because they are working to combine attributes of different species anyway. Then there are the folks that fall somewhere in the middle - not too sure what to think about hybrids and don't really care if their fish are wild caught or not (kinda neat if they are, but not a big deal). The ones in the middle tend to ask questions like - "Are there any actual red "red devils"? For me, I tend to fall between the middle and the hybrid end of the spectrum. I am vain in my fish interests and want fish that are going to "pop" from a color perspective. If I can get that in a line bred species that breeds true, then that is ideal and in my opinion the best of both worlds. If I need to look to hybrids to find the fish that tickle my fancy then I am not opposed to that either.

Sorry for the long ramble here...

So back to the question I think the OP was getting at - is there anyone out there raising a strain of red "red devils"? And more importantly, are they breeding them and do the fry color up like the parents if given proper conditioning (nutrition & sunlight)?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Was wondering how long it would be before someone jumped on the Parrots. You seem to speak authoritatively on the fact that a parrot is just a line bred red devil. I don't believe this theory (among several otheres) is in the lead for the origins of the parrots if you examine all the evidence. I can't disagree that there appears to be red devil blood in the make-up of parrots, but I don't think you will find too many people agreeing that they are just mutant line bred devils. The fact that the males are near 100% sterile points to hybrid origins. It is certainly possible to get fish as red as we would all like going the hybrid route - no question - been proven - not easy or simple, but proven.

I don't claim to be authority on BP but being Asian myself, I have visited many Asian fish stores in Chinatown and overseas and have seen all strains of BP and FH that are not available in Petsmarts. The origin of BP is a popular subject of discussion among Asian hobbyists and here is the minority viewpoint.

Deformed body popped up sparadically in all kind of fish from inbreeding and mutation, and 99% of the time they were culled. But a few breeders valued the deformity, and line bred them into balloon molly, fancy gold fish and most recently BP. If you look at the body shape of fancy gold fish or balloon molly, they are essentially deformed crooked spined fish like BP, not hybrid.

Hybridization in fish, unlike mammals, do not necessarily produce deformity or infertility. All CAs have a single bloodline origin, so are cichlids from African Lake Malawi, and will readily cross breed to produce fertile youngs with no deformity. It is the very fertility and normality of these hybrids that is the concern for polluting the gene pools.

The hybrid theory is just a rumor spread to cover up the trade secret and majority of the hobbyists buy it. I don't buy it and is in the minority view that BP is just a mutant deformed Red Devel created accidentally by inbreeding Red Devel to intensify the red, no difference from EBJD which is mutant deformed Dampsey created accidentally to intensify the blue. Both BP and EBJD have pairing of the recessive mutant genes that give them the intense color, but at the price of deformity and infertility.​

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store