removing sting ray barbs

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
is the proper way to remove the barb just to snip it off near the base of to pull it out?
asking cause i'm currently building an outdoor saltwater sting ray tank and would like to be able to touch and hand feed them without danger of getting stung..
thanks for all comments in advance guys

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Don't remove them? The amount if stress you would put on them through that process isn't worth it not to mention they barbs are shed every few months anyway so you would have to remove them time and time again. Couldn't you just not grab the tail?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
Just be cautious! And avoid the tail stay at the head of the animal. You and the animal are much better off this way.

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
Sting rays re grow their barbs every 3 months! It is not feasible, ethical, or moral to do this to a ray just for the simple fact of making you a bit more comfortable. Honestly it really isn't an issue they don't want to sting you anymore than you want to me stung. I let me kids even hand feed my rays! I have 8 adult rays and my children are 6-12 years old. I have also had a large group of cub scouts 1-5 graders over to my house and let them hand feed the rays. Rays are super gentle creatures and unless you grab them or step on them they only want the food.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
Sting rays re grow their barbs every 3 months! It is not feasible, ethical, or moral to do this to a ray just for the simple fact of making you a bit more comfortable. Honestly it really isn't an issue they don't want to sting you anymore than you want to me stung. I let me kids even hand feed my rays! I have 8 adult rays and my children are 6-12 years old. I have also had a large group of cub scouts 1-5 graders over to my house and let them hand feed the rays. Rays are super gentle creatures and unless you grab them or step on them they only want the food.
so how does seaworld, lowry park zoo, and florida aquarium get away with de-barbing their reays for touch tanks if it's that bad?
I think i'll leave their barbs alone and keep the vinegar handy just in cause..
thanks

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Don't cut the barb

If you are cutting it off because you think its dangerous then maybe we should all cut off our trigger fingers as they can kill to

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Ok, so some actual facts on this topic:
Barb removal is common practice in all public aquarium touch pools. It's not any different than cutting your fingernails and does not stress out the ray at all if done correctly.
There is no set timeline for regrowth of a barb. It varies by species, water chemistry and diet.

What kind of rays are you going to be keeping? That will determine the best way to trim/keep them trimmed. If you search some of my old stingray touch pool related threads, you'll see pics of how to properly trim barbs. You don't want to pull them out or tear them off. Usually something simple like wire cutters will do the trick to blunt the barb close to the base.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
theirs no reason you would need to take it off. They will hide and try to swim away before they would try to sting you. and if he dose sting you its more likly your falt for tormenting them than the rays falt. Maybe a stingray isnt the fish for you if your worried about it.
O and dont for get to take your sharks teeth out and put bubblewrap around the edges of your pond so you dont hurt your self.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store