Denison Barbs at petsmart?

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Yeah I think my petsmart feeds flakes too

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Flakes have nothing to do with it. It's more or less the water quality. Mine are fed a diet of flakes in addition to some frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. They have great colors. They're also in a tank with white sand.

They don't seem to color as nicely when younger.

My advice would be to buy them, quarantine them for a month, and then introduce them to the main tank. I've had mine for 2 years now. They're almost 5" long and gorgeous.

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
I have seen crazy ranges in prices for Denison's -- $15 to $25 for smaller ones. Go to your larger local fish acutions if clubs in your area have them, folks, I picked up a trio of nearly fully grown ones for $7 each!!

shipmonkey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
US of A
The secret to Petsmart is to wait till they have a sale. The school of roselines I have were all purchased for $4.50 at half price sales from them.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
The secret to Petsmart is to wait till they have a sale. The school of roselines I have were all purchased for $4.50 at half price sales from them.
I do that with many Petsmart fish. But you are definitely right. Buy in bulk too because there is a decent chance you will lose some due to poor living conditions. I have been waiting patiently for months for their Bolivian rams and the rose lines to go on sale. Apparently when I keep an eye on it, they are normal price, but the second I lose track for a week or two, the sale has come and gone. Same with Petco and their $1/gallon sales. :(

altumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
earf
now that they are commericially bred in asia. prices has gone down a lot. for a small one. u shouldnt be paying more then $10. when i first got them 5 years ago. they were expensive and wild caught. but worth it. the wild caught ones look great. the red were shown at a young age and had deep reds compared to the captive bred ones.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
now that they are commericially bred in asia. prices has gone down a lot. for a small one. u shouldnt be paying more then $10. when i first got them 5 years ago. they were expensive and wild caught. but worth it. the wild caught ones look great. the red were shown at a young age and had deep reds compared to the captive bred ones.
That is true of so many captive bred fish. In the wild, Mother Nature chooses the strongest to live and reproduce. In captivity, mankind makes those decisions and I personally think we don't have as keen an eye for good genes as Mother Nature does.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I always seemed to miss out in them when they were on sale for $4.50, I passed by several petsmarts every time the sale was on and never found more than one at a time, if I could even find one at all.

Honestly I gave up looking for them and there was no way I was paying $25+ a pop for them from any of the lfs's. A few months ago I went into petsmart to browse a bit and came across a group of six at the $9.00 price and couldn't pass them up.
-uploadfromtaptalk1368591218099.jpg
They're only a few months old now but showing potential and are gaining size fairly rapidly

All in all nine bucks a pop is still cheap and they have grown on me a bit, so I definitely don't feel any buyers remorse. I'm not sure what they feed them at the store but I've got mine on flakes and brine shrimp, with the occasional treat of blood worms or krill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store