Im new to the sump thing! Please help me!

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i agree with what David said...really dislike if it leaks...

you can use a HOB overflow working with your existing drain pipes ...

<3 the cat in your tank.....is it dead?
no the cat isnt dead lol. that is a stuffed dog of some sort lol. good eye though lol

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Oh wow I thought that cat was driftwood lol. Anyways, I actually kinda like the coast to coast concept. If you painted the pvc black like your background it would be a lot less noticeable. Not sure how HoB overflows would work with your existing drain pipes though unless u plugged the bulkheads and cut everything off leading from the back... kinda defeats the purpose of having a drilled tank. A custom overflow box would be the best solution if you really want to hide them (either horizontal or 3 vertical boxes if u modify the pipes) but I think just painting them black would look fine

i also like the coast to coast concept and would like to keep it if possible. there just has to be a better way of plumbing this thing that dont look so half @$$. im sure it worked good but man is it ugly. if i did go with the overflow boxes, how would i plumb such a thing? like i said i am a sump virgin for lack of a better term lol.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
If you want to keep the current design, but want it to look a little more discreet, you can rebuild it using black ABS pipe. I'm not a fan of using white PVC pipe in tanks...it looks horrible IMO.

In regards to your sump, get the largest you are able to get your hands on (and still be able to fit it under the stand if that's where you want it). Large sumps are awesome.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
If you want to keep the current design, but want it to look a little more discreet, you can rebuild it using black ABS pipe. I'm not a fan of using white PVC pipe in tanks...it looks horrible IMO.

In regards to your sump, get the largest you are able to get your hands on (and still be able to fit it under the stand if that's where you want it). Large sumps are awesome.
i completly agree with the pipe. this guy that built this thing had sharks in it. beautiful fish most would love to have with all the attention going to that ugly tumor in the top of the tank. i would kind like to make like a coast to coast box but i dont know how i would plumb it with the current holes drilled into the tank.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
A modified bean style overflow like this would be awesome, but the box would have to be pretty tall with how low your bulkheads are
uploadfromtaptalk1370327937038.jpg

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
I do too, especially since the background of your tank is already black. Regular overflows go all the way down anyways so this way would only be half the size. I think you would just need to make the intakes a little taller so they're an inch below the water level. How is your plumbing currently setup behind the tank? Does it already have standpipes or just goes straight down into the stand?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
do they make bulkheads that are also reducers? the pipes tht are coming out of that thing are like 2in pipes. i think that my be a little excessive. i could be wrong though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store