Im new to the sump thing! Please help me!

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
There is another option I recall seeing it on a DIY build here somewhere, the bulkhead was well below the water level in the tank but the pipe came up the back of the tank and had a T piece with an open top to set the water level. Kinda hard to explain and I couldn't be bothered searching thru countless threads to find it, so here's a very rough MSPaint drawing to try show what I mean...

View attachment 920074
i believe that this is the design that i am going to go with. do you guys have any sugestions? there are 3 outlets at 1.5 inches and three outlets. two at 1" and one at 3/4 i think.

redtailcatfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2013
nj
ahhh ic is there any sort of science behind installing them?
Nope their very simply once you get the idea of it. I started of with a PVC over flow on a non Drilled tank it was really confusing and took me a few hours to get it working properly but once I figured it out It was awesome. However it was kinda loud. I recently bought a tank with two 1" holes drilled On the bottom pane. Very simply design I used and its extremly quiet. I hear absolutely nothing from it. The reason its quiet is because theirs no way for it to suck air. The top of the pipe has a. T. With a cap with a hope and w 4" air line for it to get air. You could do the same on a tank drilled On the sides. Under neath its just as simple. Each stand pipe has its own drain into a 200-100 micron sock. Under that It has sponges and pot scrubbies then my pump has a T on it one goes to my spray bar one goes back to the sump into a 1 micron sock. Excuse the ghetto handle I couldn't get It to sit high enough but I fixed it.

uploadfromtaptalk1370752640231.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370752742715.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370752864792.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store