New tank=happy cats

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So u think the rtcs would be ok in the heat but not in the cold? What if I had some industrial heating system I could guarantee the water would stay above 70-75 all the time?
I don't think an RTC can handle steady temps well above 85-88 F, especially an adult, which inhabits well-oxygenated, cool, deep river channels of Amazon where water is probably never more than 75 F. It's a deep, relatively cool water fish... even thought the climate is very hot. That's about the heat. The cold - as I suggested in that thread I linked, unless one builds a greenhouse-type structure around their pond, I don't think it is going to work. Depending on the pond size etc,. it may be a far better investement into an indoor swimming pool than heating the nature - most usually it is a game one cannot win.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I don't think an RTC can handle steady temps well above 85-88 F, especially an adult, which inhabits well-oxygenated, cool, deep river channels of Amazon where water is probably never more than 75 F. It's a deep, relatively cool water fish... even thought the climate is very hot. QUOTE]

I agree the four foot monsters are more than likely in the very deep cool waters. The little ones are in the shallow warm waters.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
ime smaller cats do better in warmer water and older cats prefer/tolerate colder temps... and it makes sense as as juvies they tend to stay shallow and once they get big enough to be predetors they move to deeper/colder water and have the mass to help sustain themselves ect... You see this behavior in a lot of other similar bodied cats ( bullheads/flatheads ) ( I don't "Know" that RTC do this but it would make sense, But I could be compleatly off base as well. )

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree with the both of you. My prior post is not in disagreement with this. So both points need to be conveyed as the OP is thinking "housing for life", it appears to me.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I think the OP is doing a good job of housing this monster. I don't think it sustainable. It will more than likely die in a pond but the effort is commendable.
I like threads like this to point out how fricking big these guys get and how fast!
Seriously no one is going to buy a 1500 gallon tank for one of these. The way it works is you already have a 1500 gallon tank and you think "what kind of monster should I get?"

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I agree with the both of you. My prior post is not in disagreement with this. So both points need to be conveyed as the OP is thinking "housing for life", it appears to me.
I think it was more a expanding on what you where already hinting at essentially ;) I see a lot of one sentence answers that people don't realize there is further reasoning/explination to really "understand" the hows/whys which can make a difference. think that's all Egon was doing.. then I went even further lol...

and Egon I actually disagree with you to some degree... I mean if you can conseptualize a 1500 gallon fish tank and not go "am I bloody nuts?" your almost there...but having the space, time and money to build/buy something to house a big fish like a RTC... That's a different game. I think a lot of people don't realize when they get into big fish they are in and of themselves like bringing home a new puppy... or worse. It's not the same as setting up a 55 in your living room... there is a level of dedication required that goes beyond imo just a weekly water change and a pinch of flake food every night... No way would I have been able to take care of let alone properly stock our 1k pool now if I hadn't crossed everything else to get there... But I def agree.. when you bring that 2-3" cute baby home... you better be working out your final plans on that 1500 lol... I'm not sure if the pool will hold my guys for life... but hopefully that means i'll have then another 15yrs+

Catfishguy721

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Houston, TX
No Typo. The Tank i am having build is 10 ft long 30" deep and however many inches tall comes out to 1500 gallons. My limiting factors were 10ft and 30". The 30" is how wide my door frame is in the front of my house. The foundation in my dining room has been beefed up alot when we built the house and the company who makes the tank also delivers and moves it wherever you desire :)
They have a special little thing that has wheels and drives like scissor lift but is much smaller that they load the tank onto and drive it into the house.
I plan to use the tank later for fish that will use the entire water column but it will be a good in-between tank for the cats until they go into a pond.
I looked at some heaters for pools and hot tubs and i am fairly certain i could keep the pond warm in the winter... The question is at what cost...

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
No Typo. The Tank i am having build is 10 ft long 30" deep and however many inches tall comes out to 1500 gallons. My limiting factors were 10ft and 30". The 30" is how wide my door frame is in the front of my house. The foundation in my dining room has been beefed up alot when we built the house and the company who makes the tank also delivers and moves it wherever you desire :)
They have a special little thing that has wheels and drives like scissor lift but is much smaller that they load the tank onto and drive it into the house.
I plan to use the tank later for fish that will use the entire water column but it will be a good in-between tank for the cats until they go into a pond.
I looked at some heaters for pools and hot tubs and i am fairly certain i could keep the pond warm in the winter... The question is at what cost...
So if its 10 feet by 30 inches and 1500 gallons then the other dimension is around 8 feet. So how high is your door? I mean its gota be 8 feet right? Or maybe your not getting a 1500 gallon tank but a 500 gallon tank?
Its just math....

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store