My Ultra Budget-friendly DIY Canopy + LED Build

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The waterproof LEDs seem to be a bit dimmer that the non-waterproof from my experience.

Looks good.

thatbb6

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Orange County
Very nice! Does this setup allow for a nice shimmer effect?
Thank you. There is plenty of shimmer effect.

The waterproof LEDs seem to be a bit dimmer that the non-waterproof from my experience.

Looks good.
I agree. I had both and the waterproof looks a bit warmer than the non-waterproof.

Did you use the 300 or 600 led strips? I see that seller has a bunch of different ones. Is there a difference in the ones you got and the waterproof ones? You said you used an old 12v adapter to hook them up, do they come with a plug or do you need anything else to hook them up? Sorry for all of the questions, but this seem like a really great, cheap alternative to all of these expensive units.
I got the 300. 600 will be overkill as they have twice the LEDs. Link to the identical strip I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/32065534449...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=320655344497&_rdc=1
I recommend buying the non-waterproof and use something to cover it from splashing. Waterproof LED isn't fully waterproof just letting you know based on my experience. For the link above, it doesnt come with any plug so you gotta find your own 12V adapter and hook up the -/+ wires.

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
Ebay here I come. Lol

Sent from my 5860E using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Shimmer you say? Guess I'm off to ebay as well!

Could we get a vid of the setup? I'd really like to see how strong the shimmer is. Would you call the color temp warm, neutral or cool? I need to know how much blue I need to balance it; I hate a 'warm white' tank.

Thanks man! Very well done in this. :)

Saints

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2013
NOLA
Thanks, I just placed an order and also got the 5050 blue instead of the 3528 since you said you wish you would have gotten that. I also picked up some 12v dc adapters and they come with connectors and a couple of Cree flashlights all from the same seller.

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
Be prepared to pick up some new strips in 6 months to a year. Some LED'S stay bright but many will dim considerably. I've done this same thing on quite a few tanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thatbb6

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Orange County
Shimmer you say? Guess I'm off to ebay as well!

Could we get a vid of the setup? I'd really like to see how strong the shimmer is. Would you call the color temp warm, neutral or cool? I need to know how much blue I need to balance it; I hate a 'warm white' tank.

Thanks man! Very well done in this. :)
The link I posted earlier is the exact same LED I bought. Temperature appears to be at around 5000K (pure white, no hint of blue or yellow whatsoever). My wifi hasn't been stable enough to post a video. Here's a better picture of the tank.
20130729_234519.jpg

Thanks, I just placed an order and also got the 5050 blue instead of the 3528 since you said you wish you would have gotten that. I also picked up some 12v dc adapters and they come with connectors and a couple of Cree flashlights all from the same seller.
Good choice. Just make sure you didn't get the 5050 RGB lol. They're very dim.

Be prepared to pick up some new strips in 6 months to a year. Some LED'S stay bright but many will dim considerably. I've done this same thing on quite a few tanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
My 3528 LED didn't dim at all. I'm crossing fingers with 5050 but I still have 3/4 of the strip for back up.

I know what I'm doing for my tank, looks awesome good job.
Thank you.

20130729_234519.jpg

FishOnCampus

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2011
Mars
Very nice.
Only complaint that I have is that you aren't cooling the LEDs with a fan, heat sink or both. I question the longevity of the set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store