My Ultra Budget-friendly DIY Canopy + LED Build

aaron7353

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Iowa
Is there any way of using this kind of setup to support a planted tank? Any PAR estimates? I understand yours is for aesthetics, but I think it wouldbe awesome to have a cheap alternative for plants.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Is there any way of using this kind of setup to support a planted tank? Any PAR estimates? I understand yours is for aesthetics, but I think it wouldbe awesome to have a cheap alternative for plants.
If you can get sufficient lumens in the appropriate areas of the spectrum, I see no reason why these wouldn't be good for a planted tank. The first thing you'd have to do is find out what spectrum these LEDs are emitting. Most LEDs use narrow bands in the blue and near UV to excite fluorescent materials to also emit the less energetic colors of the spectrum. Most manufacturers will have this spectral data available somewhere. The tricky part will be tracking it down.

thatbb6

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Orange County
I highly doubt it but I don't have any experience with planted tank. Each 5050 LED is rated at 0.2 W and 19 lumen according to one of the sources.

Very nice.
Only complaint that I have is that you aren't cooling the LEDs with a fan, heat sink or both. I question the longevity of the set up.
I was gonna go with CREE LED from rapid-led.com with proper heat sink and everything. But this setup was built on a budget and heat sinks are expensive. Plus, I don't see Marineland and other low-wattage LED have fan & heat sink.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I was gonna go with CREE LED from rapid-led.com with proper heat sink and everything. But this setup was built on a budget and heat sinks are expensive. Plus, I don't see Marineland and other low-wattage LED have fan & heat sink.
I'm running some Marineland single brights on my tank. No matter how long they're on, they never become even slightly warm, I couldn't imagine a need for a sink with them.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I have used these 5050 LEDS...to be honest they look good for about a month then they dim a shed load!! also the non waterproof ones you have definately will not cope with being on a fish tank, the evaporating water and salts from the tank will destroy them!

This is what i did with the 5050:

It was 6 foot long, 32cm wide on aluminium for heat dissipation, 3 colours, white, blue, pink all with individual on/off control.

It lasted about 2-3 months then started to dim, and i was using the 5050 waterproof!!! (and they sucked power like a mofo!! i have to use 2 30amp 350w drivers to run them!)

LEDs (3).jpg

LEDs (2).jpg

LEDs (1).jpg

good effort on the canopy, looks nice

I build a 24 led 3w cree array including heat sync for $80!!!

LEDs (3).jpg

LEDs (2).jpg

LEDs (1).jpg

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
How was the color balance using the white/pink/blue combo? Did the pink give a nice boost in the cooler color range... or did it just look pink?

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
How was the color balance using the white/pink/blue combo? Did the pink give a nice boost in the cooler color range... or did it just look pink?
i did:

2 white, blue, pink, 3 white, pink, blue, 2 white

when it worked the colour was AMAZING!!!

Leds release a very fine spectrum of light, so combining white, blue and pink in the way i have a 2:1:1 ratio of white blue and pink it looked amazing, the reds, oranges and pinks on fish really popped out

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
did i just read that right? 4d3 those were using 700w!?!?! if so why bother? thats like the watts used by huge T5 and MH combo fixtures...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store