Help! Myt ray stung me

Status
Not open for further replies.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Toulk allot of alloance to buy him :). Not to mention his 120 gallon.
There'd been 0 chance of my parents even considering letting me bring a 120 into the house much less buy one. Consider yourself very lucky.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Now that we know he is ok (doesn't sound like he actually got envenomated)... lets get to the main problem/ How did a 4 inch ray have a chance to strike you? Owning a ray you need to be careful, not pet, touch,caress rub etc. Also your ray is a baby the level of stress you caused it by needing to strike is not good for him. I hope this is a learning opportunity and you are more respectful of the venomous animal you now have.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Now that we know he is ok (doesn't sound like he actually got envenomated)... lets get to the main problem/ How did a 4 inch ray have a chance to strike you? Owning a ray you need to be careful, not pet, touch,caress rub etc. Also your ray is a baby the level of stress you caused it by needing to strike is not good for him. I hope this is a learning opportunity and you are more respectful of the venomous animal you now have.
I was trying to hand feed him but I think I scared him and the little guy whipped around and stung me. I know stressing out a small, delicate, venemous animal is something I have to avoid.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I was trying to hand feed him but I think I scared him and the little guy whipped around and stung me. I know stressing out a small, delicate, venemous animal is something I have to avoid.
If you want to hand feed then get his favorite food in your hand, rest it at the bottom at least a foot away and let it come to you, be very still so it doesn't feel threatened

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
My old ray I could put some blackworms in my hand and swiftly put it about half way down in the tank -still holding on- and she'd gobble them right up. I guess the new ray would enjoy your method allot more.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
My old ray I could put some blackworms in my hand and swiftly put it about half way down in the tank -still holding on- and she'd gobble them right up. I guess the new ray would enjoy your method allot more.
I'm by no means an expert so maybe your ray will be like that when bigger but as said by someone else stress is bad for them especially when they are that small

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
So overall we learned here.

1. He really didn't get stung.
2. A stingray is not a neat cool toy that you play with.
3. Stay tuned it will probably happen again.
4. Your hand in the tank caused stress to the ray which caused harm.
5. I should probably keep my hand out of the tank unless I really need to and in those cases a net or tongs can do wonders.
6. You need to do more research on keeping a stingray.
7. Don't take advice from those who have not ever kept a ray themselves. Or who had said ray for less then one year.
8. My is spelled my.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
So overall we learned here.

1. He really didn't get stung.
2. A stingray is not a neat cool toy that you play with.
3. Stay tuned it will probably happen again.
4. Your hand in the tank caused stress to the ray which caused harm.
5. I should probably keep my hand out of the tank unless I really need to and in those cases a net or tongs can do wonders.
6. You need to do more research on keeping a stingray.
7. Don't take advice from those who have not ever kept a ray themselves. Or who had said ray for less then one year.
8. My is spelled my.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Hahaand i thought i was being harsh to the youngin...lol.

But tongs may be a good way to try "hand feeding" once he gets used to food from the tongs you can try your hand. Just be careful,in my experience rays dont want to strike unless you force them.

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
Hell, I'm scared enough of getting stung when I have to rearrange some decor and clean the tank, not that they are aggressive, and they love to come up the side to be hand (tong) fed freeze dried krill.
At least my electric catfish isn't curious to check out what's going on when I clean or rearrange

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store