Help! Myt ray stung me

Status
Not open for further replies.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Well the cut is not very deep at all. Also the guy at the lfs said that reticulated rays don't have venom. He said the worst I'd get is a rash that would go away in a few days. Is this true or should I be worried?
Your LFS is an idiot. Like all rays, the reticulated ray does have venom in its babe sheath.

If untreated, it cause necrosis of the skin and bacterial infections, up to and including amputation of the limb or death. These are extreme cases.

Like previously posted, submerge the affected area in the hottest water you can handle without burning yourself. (Scalding burns generally will be more severe than the venom at this point).

The venom is a protein based toxin, so hot water helps break down the protein within it.

Still go to the doctor to have it checked out. There is a medical sticky in this subprime with exact info on what to do, as well as medications used to combat it.

An xray of the sting area is handy too as it confirms whether or not you have any fragments of the barb still inside, as these can lead to infections also.

Your LFS needs a damned good slap on the back of the head for their terrible advice.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sorry. Not meaning to be harsh sometimes I say before I think. And im a little blunt most of the time.

Hahaand i thought i was being harsh to the youngin...lol.

But tongs may be a good way to try "hand feeding" once he gets used to food from the tongs you can try your hand. Just be careful,in my experience rays dont want to strike unless you force them.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Sorry. Not meaning to be harsh sometimes I say before I think. And im a little blunt most of the time.

No worries

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I did look around and coud not find any pics of your ray post them up.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Retics seem to go out of their way to sting you. Or at least that's been my experience..lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Post pics of your sting. I removed a large ray that had passed. I picked her up by the tail and it slipped a bit and cut my finger! I was in excruciating pain for 20-30 minutes then it hurt for days. I seriously Was yelling! If I was 12 I probably would have been rushed to the hospital crying.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
I do not recommend hand feeding. Even the most docile ray can get spooked and sting the keeper. How long has the tank been set up and what type of filteration do you have on it? BTW as stated above, rays do not envenomate (spelling) like a scorpion. The venom is actually a mucus that covers the barb.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I hand feed my bdxleo everyday. I hand fed my bdxpearl every day also before I sold her. If you let them come to you it is not going to spook them.

Retics they just seem to have bad attitudes for me. I have also hand fed my hystrix and motoros before selling them. Same method let them come to you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store