Help! Myt ray stung me

Status
Not open for further replies.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Am i going to die? wtf i dont think a baby stingray can do that much damage to a young kid let alone an adult.
Well being a 12 year old with an over protetctive parent, my mom made me ask that. I know a little stingray wont kill me.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Well being a 12 year old with an over protetctive parent, my mom made me ask that. I know a little stingray wont kill me.
As was said above, hot water is the best bet initially.

But, since (presumably) nobody here is a medical doctor, especially of humans, the best advice we can give you is to have a doctor check it out.

The main risks are the potential for bits of the stinger to still be in there, and infection from dirt/water in the wound. And of course the former is likely to lead to the latter.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I don't think she is being over protective, she is your mother and is concerned for your safety. Stingray ray stings are nothing to fool around with and if it becomes infected you will not be happy. Your mom did the right thing. I still think it's not a bad idea to have it checked by a doctor, better safe than sorry.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Ok, thanks, the cut isn't very deep at all and the stinger looks intact.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Didn't a member recently end up with MRSA after getting tagged by their ray?

Everyone has different reactions to getting stung. Your best bet is to get to a doctor. You never know part of the stinger could have broken off.

I just find it interesting almost everyone who has been tagged talks about excruciating pain and yet you seem fine?

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Well the cut is not very deep at all. Also the guy at the lfs said that reticulated rays don't have venom. He said the worst I'd get is a rash that would go away in a few days. Is this true or should I be worried?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Well the cut is not very deep at all. Also the guy at the lfs said that reticulated rays don't have venom. He said the worst I'd get is a rash that would go away in a few days. Is this true or should I be worried?
Just make sure it doesn't get infected, you will know if you need medical help

And btw you are so lucky to have a ray at 12 :p

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Whoa! that must hurt!
The barb didn't go all the way into me, more of a scratch. I just didn't know if that was enough to get the venom into my system. I don't feel any excrushiating pain so I guess either no venom got in or since the ray is so small none came out.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store