How often do you guys wash filters?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Cleaning it too often will kill all the good bacteria. I do all my canisters once a year using aquarium water

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
This, it's a eco system and if it runs its own course. Regular water changes is more than enough to keep it healthy and productive as long as the filters flow is good. There are many fish keepers who clean canisters once a year and they dont encounter any problems. Been doing this since the mid 90's when canisters were just coming out.

weichen14

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2013
NYC
Cleaning it too often will kill all the good bacteria. I do all my canisters once a year using aquarium water

I always clean my filters with aquarium water. Dont your canisters get really dirty if you clean once a year. I only have 10 fish (from 4 to 7 inches) in my 125 gallon and the canister get really dirty in about a month.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
I clean my canisters somewhere between 3-6 months and for my lone ac110, i check it out every month makin sure flow looks smooth and clean enough

Sent from my SGH-T999V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I know some of you guys may think....I've been doing fishkeeping for years so I cant be wrong but not cleaning a canister for more than three months is a big risky mistake.
Ha! If you really have the need to clean that often, you are overfeeding your fish. With proper filtration and no over feeding, the BB can process all of the fish waste. Cleaning once or twice a year is to get rid of the sludge that is composed of minerals and other things the bactetia don't process. If you NEED to clean a cannister every 3 months you need to be cleaning every 2 weeks to get the uneaten food out. A cannister is primarily a biological filter, not mechanical.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
As long as u do your regular water changes, its the most important. Some canisters, if the flow is really low, then i do a cleaning or more of a rinse w/ aquarium water.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I test weekly before a WC and let that tell me when it's needed, if the nitrates are higher than normal it's time for a filter clean out lol that's the best method from my experience

As far as a time scale between I would say roughly every 6 months and I feed every day

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I test weekly before a WC and let that tell me when it's needed, if the nitrates are higher than normal it's time for a filter clean out lol that's the best method from my experience

As far as a time scale between I would say roughly every 6 months and I feed every day

What are you keeping to test weekly? Last time I checked params in my 300 was like never years ago Lol

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
A cannister is primarily a biological filter, not mechanical.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I would have to disagree. Canisters are typically designed to be able to be customized to the users' specific needs, but they are primarily design to be much less inconspicuous then an HOB or in-tank filtration system.

Jkempel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2013
Empel - Netherlands
About once a month for my filters .
It mostly depends on how dirty they are and if the flow gets weaker

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store